Developing Websphere applications - Websphere

This is a discussion on Developing Websphere applications - Websphere ; I have a question on what people use to develop Websphere applications. We run an application on a Websphere server and this application has been transitioned to me because the person that maintained the application before has left. This application ...

  1. Developing Websphere applications

    I have a question on what people use to develop Websphere
    applications. We run an application on a Websphere server and this
    application has been transitioned to me because the person that
    maintained the application before has left. This application was
    transitioned to me because there was a problem with it about 5 months
    after the original maintainer left. I have no idea what he used to
    develop and maintain this application. I downloaded Eclipse and I see
    IBM RAD is a popular tool for developing for Websphere, but I don't
    think that was the tool the original developer used, and I don't want
    to shell out thousands of dollars for RAD.

    Are there any other tools, maybe open source, that we could use to
    work on this application?
    It lives in an ear file, which contains a war file, which contains jsp
    and java class files.
    I'm sure the original developer used an IDE, because comment blocks
    like this are found in every java file:
    /**
    * Insert the method's description here.
    * Creation date: (7/24/2001 2:31:28 PM)
    * @return java.lang.String
    */

    Any ideas? What does everyone else use for Websphere development?

    Thanks in advance!

    Brian

  2. Re: Developing Websphere applications

    On Mar 30, 12:02 pm, emilyandbr...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a question on what people use to develop Websphere
    > applications. We run an application on a Websphere server and this
    > application has been transitioned to me because the person that
    > maintained the application before has left. This application was
    > transitioned to me because there was a problem with it about 5 months
    > after the original maintainer left. I have no idea what he used to
    > develop and maintain this application. I downloaded Eclipse and I see
    > IBM RAD is a popular tool for developing for Websphere, but I don't
    > think that was the tool the original developer used, and I don't want
    > to shell out thousands of dollars for RAD.
    >
    > Are there any other tools, maybe open source, that we could use to
    > work on this application?
    > It lives in an ear file, which contains a war file, which contains jsp
    > and java class files.
    > I'm sure the original developer used an IDE, because comment blocks
    > like this are found in every java file:
    > /**
    > * Insert the method's description here.
    > * Creation date: (7/24/2001 2:31:28 PM)
    > * @return java.lang.String
    > */
    >
    > Any ideas? What does everyone else use for Websphere development?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Brian

    You could use MyEclipse with the appropriate connector for your
    Application Server.

    Satyakant

  3. Re: Developing Websphere applications

    On Mar 30, 11:02 am, emilyandbr...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a question on what people use to develop Websphere
    > applications. We run an application on a Websphere server and this
    > application has been transitioned to me because the person that
    > maintained the application before has left. This application was
    > transitioned to me because there was a problem with it about 5 months
    > after the original maintainer left. I have no idea what he used to
    > develop and maintain this application. I downloaded Eclipse and I see
    > IBM RAD is a popular tool for developing for Websphere, but I don't
    > think that was the tool the original developer used, and I don't want
    > to shell out thousands of dollars for RAD.
    >
    > Are there any other tools, maybe open source, that we could use to
    > work on this application?
    > It lives in an ear file, which contains a war file, which contains jsp
    > and java class files.
    > I'm sure the original developer used an IDE, because comment blocks
    > like this are found in every java file:
    > /**
    > * Insert the method's description here.
    > * Creation date: (7/24/2001 2:31:28 PM)
    > * @return java.lang.String
    > */
    >
    > Any ideas? What does everyone else use for Websphere development?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Brian

    That came out of VisualAge for Java, which means it was probably a WAS
    3.5 app. You can successfully move that to Webspher Studio Application
    Developer 5.1 and still deploy to WAS 3.5 but it starts to get hairy
    if you jump up to RAD 6 or newer.

  4. Re: Developing Websphere applications

    On Mar 30, 12:55 pm, "Ray" wrote:

    > That came out of VisualAge for Java, which means it was probably a WAS
    > 3.5 app. You can successfully move that to Webspher Studio Application
    > Developer 5.1 and still deploy to WAS 3.5 but it starts to get hairy
    > if you jump up to RAD 6 or newer.

    Wow - we were looking at purchasing the newest release of RAD - so
    that may not be a good idea since our code base may not be
    compatible? I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking the app was
    written with VAJ, but since VA is no longer (directly) available, I
    had no way of telling.

    I've been looking on the IBM site, and I cannot find a place to
    purchase WSAD - they all forward to RAD. Do you think it is still
    possible to obtain WSAD 5.1?

    That has still got to be expensive too - do you think there are any
    other alternatives?

    Thanks so much for the replies!

+ Reply to Thread