Re: Strange socket state prevents WAS restarting - Websphere

This is a discussion on Re: Strange socket state prevents WAS restarting - Websphere ; For the one that will meet similar problems, some information that can help. The origin of my problem was a component installed before the WebSphere server (Apache + CA SiteMinder 5 agent) that was removing the "if-modified-since" HTTP header. When ...

  1. Re: Strange socket state prevents WAS restarting

    For the one that will meet similar problems, some information that can help.

    The origin of my problem was a component installed before the WebSphere server (Apache + CA SiteMinder 5 agent) that was removing the "if-modified-since" HTTP header. When Internet Explorer receives a 200 (OK) response instead of a 304 for a ressource he already has in its cache, it simply close the connection.

    The consequence is that there is a lot of TCP sockets closed but with data waiting to be sent. They stay in the LAST_ACK a long time before being closed.

    Applications like Websphere usually manage this situation by setting a timeout on the close operation (the SO_LINGER parameter). By analysing the code of Websphere 6, i have discovered this can be done using a soLinger property. Unfortunately, this parameter is multiplyed by 1000 but the linger time for the java.net.Socket.setSoLinger method must be specifyed in seconds not in milliseconds !

  2. Re: Strange socket state prevents WAS restarting

    > When Internet Explorer receives a 200 (OK) response instead of a 304 for a
    > ressource he already has in its cache, it simply close the connection.

    Good that you found it, because it can cause nasty problems.
    This behavior is considered a "feature"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272933), but it's without causing problems
    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922703).

+ Reply to Thread