WAS 6.0.2.17 - Adding a node to existing cluster - Websphere

This is a discussion on WAS 6.0.2.17 - Adding a node to existing cluster - Websphere ; I have an existing cluster running 2 servers on 2 different nodes. I would like to add to the cluster a new server(cluster member). Only thing is, the new cluster member is on a new node, a node that did ...

  1. WAS 6.0.2.17 - Adding a node to existing cluster

    I have an existing cluster running 2 servers on 2 different nodes. I
    would like to add to the cluster a new server(cluster member). Only
    thing is, the new cluster member is on a new node, a node that did not
    exist when the cluster was first created.

    Using the Administrative console, New Cluster Member, my cluster does
    not "see" the new node. If I create a new cluster, I have the option
    to choose any of my three nodes.

    I am looking to confirm, you can only add new cluster members to
    existing clusters, if those members exist on nodes present when the
    cluster was created. In other words, you can add cluster members, but
    you can not add new nodes to an existing cluster.

    Thanks, Jace Barbera

  2. Re: WAS 6.0.2.17 - Adding a node to existing cluster

    wrote in message
    news:1174666740.453029.102310@y80g2000hsf.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have an existing cluster running 2 servers on 2 different nodes. I
    > would like to add to the cluster a new server(cluster member). Only
    > thing is, the new cluster member is on a new node, a node that did not
    > exist when the cluster was first created.
    >
    > Using the Administrative console, New Cluster Member, my cluster does
    > not "see" the new node. If I create a new cluster, I have the option
    > to choose any of my three nodes.
    >
    > I am looking to confirm, you can only add new cluster members to
    > existing clusters, if those members exist on nodes present when the
    > cluster was created. In other words, you can add cluster members, but
    > you can not add new nodes to an existing cluster.
    >
    > Thanks, Jace Barbera

    I don't think that is correct, I think that you should be able to add a new
    cluster member to a new node. Did you try bouncing everything? Also check
    out the core groups, it says something like "All members of a cluster must
    be in the same core group".

  3. Re: WAS 6.0.2.17 - Adding a node to existing cluster

    On Mar 23, 1:11 pm, "Bruce" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1174666740.453029.102310@y80g2000hsf.googlegr oups.com...
    >

    > >I have an existing cluster running 2 servers on 2 different nodes. I
    > > would like to add to the cluster a new server(cluster member). Only
    > > thing is, the new cluster member is on a new node, a node that did not
    > > exist when the cluster was first created.

    > > Using the Administrative console, New Cluster Member, my cluster does
    > > not "see" the new node. If I create a new cluster, I have the option
    > > to choose any of my three nodes.

    > > I am looking to confirm, you can only add new cluster members to
    > > existing clusters, if those members exist on nodes present when the
    > > cluster was created. In other words, you can add cluster members, but
    > > you can not add new nodes to an existing cluster.

    > > Thanks, Jace Barbera

    > I don't think that is correct, I think that you should be able to add a new
    > cluster member to a new node. Did you try bouncing everything? Also check
    > out the core groups, it says something like "All members of a cluster must
    > be in the same core group".- Hide quoted text -

    Bruce, got it. You were just about correct. Thanks!

    When I setup the cluster, I created a "custom" Node Group (located
    under Administration in the GUI). To that Node Group I added only the
    nodes I wanted in the cluster to prevent exactly what I was trying to
    do... add a node into a well defined production cluster. It worked,
    only too well. I had to go back through my notes and that is when I
    found the custom node group. I added the new node to the group and now
    I can add my new cluster member!

    If you look at your clusters, you can see under the Cluster Name, the
    dropdown, Bounding Node Group Name. Clusters are bound to Node Groups
    (DefaultNodeGroup) post installation. But if you have many different
    nodes as I do, you can create different node groups to keep things
    more organized.

    Thanks for the push.

+ Reply to Thread