JDBC Recourse Websphere 6.1.0.5 - nullpointerException - Websphere

This is a discussion on JDBC Recourse Websphere 6.1.0.5 - nullpointerException - Websphere ; Hi all, I can't seem to make a DataBase connection. I perform the following steps: 1) create a new JDBC resource - Database type: Oracle - Provider type: Oracle JDBC Driver - Implementation type: Connection pool datasource 2) Here it ...

  1. JDBC Recourse Websphere 6.1.0.5 - nullpointerException

    Hi all,

    I can't seem to make a DataBase connection.
    I perform the following steps:

    1) create a new JDBC resource
    - Database type: Oracle
    - Provider type: Oracle JDBC Driver
    - Implementation type: Connection pool datasource

    2) Here it goes wrong, providing the directory location for ojdbc14.jar
    I've placed the jar file in C:\MilesWS (C:\MilesWs\ojdbc14.jar)
    And entered the following C:/MilesWS
    (or C:\MilesWS or C:\\MilesWr or C://MilesWS) below
    'Directory location for "ojdbc14.jar" which is saved as WebSphere variable
    ${ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_PATH}'

    after clicking finish on the summary page I get a:

    DSRA3601E: createJDBCProvider command failed for the following reason: java.lang.NullPointerException.

    I've also tried to provide C:\MilesWS as a value for ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_PATH
    via the environment variable's of websphere. But same result.

    Even re´nstalling the entire websphere didn't help. I realy don't have any idea how this error can occur. The file is on the specified location. I've tried other locations as wel, same result.

    The same configuration worked wel on Websphere 5.1 but now on Websphere 6.1.0.5 I can't seem to get it running.

    Any help is greatly appreciated!

    regards,

    Erik

  2. Re: JDBC Recourse Websphere 6.1.0.5 - nullpointerException

    On Mar 24, 3:30 am, wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I can't seem to make a DataBase connection.
    > I perform the following steps:
    >
    > 1) create a new JDBC resource
    > - Database type: Oracle
    > - Provider type: Oracle JDBC Driver
    > - Implementation type: Connection pool datasource
    >
    > 2) Here it goes wrong, providing the directory location for ojdbc14.jar
    > I've placed the jar file in C:\MilesWS (C:\MilesWs\ojdbc14.jar)
    > And entered the following C:/MilesWS
    > (or C:\MilesWS or C:\\MilesWr or C://MilesWS) below
    > 'Directory location for "ojdbc14.jar" which is saved as WebSphere variable
    > ${ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_PATH}'
    >
    > after clicking finish on the summary page I get a:
    >
    > DSRA3601E: createJDBCProvider command failed for the following reason:java.lang.NullPointerException.
    >
    > I've also tried to provide C:\MilesWS as a value for ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_PATH
    > via the environment variable's of websphere. But same result.
    >
    > Even re´nstalling the entire websphere didn't help. I realy don't have any idea how this error can occur. The file is on the specified location. I've tried other locations as wel, same result.
    >
    > The same configuration worked wel on Websphere 5.1 but now on Websphere 6..1.0.5 I can't seem to get it running.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated!
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Erik

    I've just today downloaded and started using Websphere - and had to
    create an Oracle connection, which as it happens worked fine.

    This makes me pretty inexpert, but as a suggestion, you would normally
    need to point to a specific jar rather than the directory in which it
    contained.

  3. Re: JDBC Recourse Websphere 6.1.0.5 - nullpointerException

    Nobody with the same problem?

    Can someone perhaps post his settings (the effective location, and the url string provided via the admin console), so I can ensure that I'm doing it right?

    thanks

  4. Re: JDBC Recourse Websphere 6.1.0.5 - nullpointerException

    On Mar 28, 5:32 am, wrote:
    > Nobody with the same problem?
    >
    > Can someone perhaps post his settings (the effective location, and the url string provided via the admin console), so I can ensure that I'm doing it right?
    >
    > thanks

    You should be putting ${ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_PATH}/ojdbc14.jar as the
    classpath assuming you have set ${ORACLE_JDBC_DRIVER_PATH} to the path
    of ojdbc14.jar file in the same scope in environment variables.

  5. Re: JDBC Recourse Websphere 6.1.0.5 - nullpointerException

    Ok, I finally found the problem.

    As still being a student (doing an internship) I'm not so familiar with classloading stuff. The problem here was a classloading issue.

    The company has been using Webphere 5.x and I was the first migrating to Websphere 6. When configuring websphere 6 I used the value's that were used in Websphere 5.

    In WAS 5 they were using a single classloader + there were added jar's to the bootpath. (JDOM,SAXEN...)

    When I made changes via the admin console webphere used the jar's in the bootpath. And appearently there was an incompatibilty when it tried to write the changes for the JDBC datasource.

    After removing the jar's from the bootpath I could make the changes. Then place the jar's back in the bootpath and now everything is running.. finaly :-)

+ Reply to Thread