How to enable security using Local OS registry? - Websphere

This is a discussion on How to enable security using Local OS registry? - Websphere ; Hi, I need to enable security in the application server. For that, I chose "Local OS" as my user registry. I had entered the "ServerID" and "Password" same as what I have used to logon to the machine running the ...

  1. How to enable security using Local OS registry?

    Hi,

    I need to enable security in the application server. For that, I chose "Local OS" as my user registry. I had entered the "ServerID" and "Password" same as what I have used to logon to the machine running the application server. When I tried to enable the security and save the changes it throws an error message saying "Validation failed for user [userID]. Please try again."

    Credential used for login to the machine running the application server:
    UserID: ajay
    Passoword: Xavier
    Domain: MYTECH

    how to resolve this issue?

    Regards,
    Jay.

  2. Re: How to enable security using Local OS registry?

    ajaykumar.malepati@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to enable security in the application server. For that, I chose "Local OS" as my user registry. I had entered the "ServerID" and "Password" same as what I have used to logon to the machine running the application server. When I tried to enable the security and save the changes it throws an error message saying "Validation failed for user [userID]. Please try again."
    >
    > Credential used for login to the machine running the application server:
    > UserID: ajay
    > Passoword: Xavier
    > Domain: MYTECH
    >
    > how to resolve this issue?

    OK, first of all you really shouldn't publish your password in a
    newsgroup. That's a really bad idea.

    Secondly, it really helps when you ask a question to say what version of
    WAS you are on.

    Finally, to run local OS registry on windows you need to be an
    administrator, which is probably your problem.

  3. Re: How to enable security using Local OS registry?

    Paul Ilechko wrote:
    > ajaykumar.malepati@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I need to enable security in the application server. For that, I chose
    >> "Local OS" as my user registry. I had entered the "ServerID" and
    >> "Password" same as what I have used to logon to the machine running
    >> the application server. When I tried to enable the security and save
    >> the changes it throws an error message saying "Validation failed for
    >> user [userID]. Please try again."
    >>
    >> Credential used for login to the machine running the application server:
    >> UserID: ajay
    >> Passoword: Xavier
    >> Domain: MYTECH
    >>
    >> how to resolve this issue?

    > OK, first of all you really shouldn't publish your password in a
    > newsgroup. That's a really bad idea.
    >
    > Secondly, it really helps when you ask a question to say what version of
    > WAS you are on.
    >
    > Finally, to run local OS registry on windows you need to be an
    > administrator, which is probably your problem.

    Just to be clear - WAS need to run as an admin user. This is not
    necessarily the same user that you are logged in as.

  4. Re: How to enable security using Local OS registry?

    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for you reply.

    First, The user name and passoword provided by me are just a sample info.
    Second, I am working in WAS5.1

    i do have the admin rights for the user name and password provided by me.

    what else could be the problem?

    Thanks,
    Jay.

  5. Re: How to enable security using Local OS registry?

    ajaykumar.malepati@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Paul,
    > Thanks for you reply.
    >
    > First, The user name and passoword provided by me are just a sample info.
    > Second, I am working in WAS5.1
    >
    > i do have the admin rights for the user name and password provided by me.
    >
    > what else could be the problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jay.

    Is the user a valid domain user?

  6. Re: How to enable security using Local OS registry?

    Paul Ilechko wrote:

    > ajaykumar.malepati@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi Paul,
    > > Thanks for you reply.
    > >
    > > First, The user name and passoword provided by me are just a sample info.
    > > Second, I am working in WAS5.1
    > >
    > > i do have the admin rights for the user name and password provided by me.
    > >
    > > what else could be the problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Jay.
    > >

    > Is the user a valid domain user?

    I have the same porblom. I tried it on WAS5.0 and WAS6.0 on aix 5.1 host.
    I made a user having root right by editing /etc/passwd to
    user:!:0:0::/:/bin/ksh. But I kept getting "Validation failed for user
    [userID]. Please try again."

    Richard

  7. Re: How to enable security using Local OS registry?

    Richard Lu wrote:
    > Paul Ilechko wrote:
    >
    >> ajaykumar.malepati@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Hi Paul,
    >>> Thanks for you reply.
    >>>
    >>> First, The user name and passoword provided by me are just a sample info.
    >>> Second, I am working in WAS5.1
    >>>
    >>> i do have the admin rights for the user name and password provided by me.
    >>>
    >>> what else could be the problem?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Jay.
    >>>

    >> Is the user a valid domain user?

    > I have the same porblom. I tried it on WAS5.0 and WAS6.0 on aix 5.1 host.
    > I made a user having root right by editing /etc/passwd to
    > user:!:0:0::/:/bin/ksh. But I kept getting "Validation failed for user
    > [userID]. Please try again."

    This is not an answer to your question, but I don't recommend using
    local OS. Firstly, you can't use it with WAS ND, so you can't scale to a
    cluster or get any failover, which makes it useless in production. So if
    you really just want a simple test registry for development I would use
    the file based custom registry that ships with WAS (or the file based
    VMM registry in WAS 6.1). For production you really should be looking at
    LDAP, even if your registry is AD.

  8. Re: How to enable security using Local OS registry?

    Hi Paul,

    I agree with you. LDAP is first choice for production. The custom registry
    works on my aix box as a test. Now I move to test the setting of admin console
    user. WAS doesn't work on Local OS. I posted it (WAS6.0 admin Console Users
    login failed) on this newsgroup this afternoon. Could you read it on newsgroup
    if you can and give me an idea?

    thanks,

    Richard

    Paul Ilechko wrote:

    > Richard Lu wrote:
    > > Paul Ilechko wrote:

    > >> Is the user a valid domain user?

    > > I have the same porblom. I tried it on WAS5.0 and WAS6.0 on aix 5.1 host.
    > > I made a user having root right by editing /etc/passwd to
    > > user:!:0:0::/:/bin/ksh. But I kept getting "Validation failed for user
    > > [userID]. Please try again."

    > This is not an answer to your question, but I don't recommend using
    > local OS. Firstly, you can't use it with WAS ND, so you can't scale to a
    > cluster or get any failover, which makes it useless in production. So if
    > you really just want a simple test registry for development I would use
    > the file based custom registry that ships with WAS (or the file based
    > VMM registry in WAS 6.1). For production you really should be looking at
    > LDAP, even if your registry is AD.

  9. Re: How to enable security using Local OS registry?

    Richard Lu wrote:
    > Paul Ilechko wrote:
    >
    >> ajaykumar.malepati@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Hi Paul,
    >>> Thanks for you reply.
    >>>
    >>> First, The user name and passoword provided by me are just a sample info.
    >>> Second, I am working in WAS5.1
    >>>
    >>> i do have the admin rights for the user name and password provided by me.
    >>>
    >>> what else could be the problem?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Jay.
    >>>

    >> Is the user a valid domain user?

    > I have the same porblom. I tried it on WAS5.0 and WAS6.0 on aix 5.1 host.
    > I made a user having root right by editing /etc/passwd to
    > user:!:0:0::/:/bin/ksh. But I kept getting "Validation failed for user
    > [userID]. Please try again."
    >
    > Richard

    Is the WAS _process_ running as root? LocalOS will not work otherwise.

    Ken

  10. Re: How to enable security using Local OS registry?

    Hi Ken,

    Yes, the WAS process is running as root.

    thanks,

    Richard

    Ken Hygh wrote:

    > Richard Lu wrote:
    > > Paul Ilechko wrote:

    > >> Is the user a valid domain user?

    > > I have the same porblom. I tried it on WAS5.0 and WAS6.0 on aix 5.1 host.
    > > I made a user having root right by editing /etc/passwd to
    > > user:!:0:0::/:/bin/ksh. But I kept getting "Validation failed for user
    > > [userID]. Please try again."
    > >
    > > Richard
    > >

    > Is the WAS _process_ running as root? LocalOS will not work otherwise.
    >
    > Ken

+ Reply to Thread