Installing Web Logic behind firewall - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Installing Web Logic behind firewall - Weblogic ; Hi everybody, here's my question: We have an Internet server with IIS and another (non-BEA)application server running on it. I would like to add an application that requires Weblogic but I can't install Weblogic parallel to the other application server. ...

  1. Installing Web Logic behind firewall

    Hi everybody,

    here's my question:
    We have an Internet server with IIS and another (non-BEA)application server running on it. I would like to add an application that requires Weblogic but I can't install Weblogic parallel to the other application server.
    Furthermore I would like to install the Weblogic server on a box behind the firewall. Is that possible at all?
    Can you point me to documentation about how to install Weblogic on its own box and (if possible) behind a firewall?

    Thanks

    Andreas

  2. Re: Installing Web Logic behind firewall

    Adreas,

    I think it should be fairly easy to install Weblogic on the same server as IIS and another [web] server/ application. What follows is how I would do it, not that it is the best or only way. Implicit in my response is the assumption that you have control over the IIS server. Further, I'm assuming that either the IIS server is accessible from the other side of the firewall.

    If I understand the scenario, it you Weblogic cannot be installed on the IIS server, because it conflicts with another application on the box. So then install Weblogic on its own server as recommended in the installation guide.

    On your new Weblogic server, install your new application, with no consideration given to your firewall/ IIS situation.

    Now, on your IIS Server, create a new "Web Application" from the IIS Management Console (call it wlsapp, perhaps). There is a tab on the Web Application setup that allows you to specify the home directory for your new web application. Here you can pick a real or virutal folder on the on the windows server, or you can specify a URL. Specify the URL of your Weblogic Application.

    At this point, your apps should be operational and accessible from outside the firewall.

    A few notes, if your IIS server is accessible from the other side of the firewall as www.MyCompanyIIS.com, you would have created a "web application" on that site that would be intentified by the URL www.MyCompanyIIS.com/wlsapp, which points to a URL on your Weblogic server, say http://mywls:7001/myapp/index.jsp. If all the links in your weblogic apps are relative urls this should work fine, however, if your app ends up containing a link that's coded as http://mywls:7001/myapp/.../.../resource, clients on the other side of the firewall will fail to access it.

    Alternatively, if you're on Win 2K Server or NT Server, as opposed to Professional, IIS allows you to do "host header redirection", so that the web application you created on IIS can be made available as wlsapp.www.MyCompanyIIS.com.

    Let me know if this helps.

    Also, if anyone has better ideas, I'd love to hear them (and I'm sure Andreas would too)

    Cheers!

    Kirk D.

  3. Re: Installing Web Logic behind firewall

    Hi Andreas,

    The installation guide is located at:
    http://e-docs.bea.com/platform/docs8...all/index.html

    It covers installation of WebLogic Server as well as other WebLogic Platform product components.

    Cheers,
    Meg

+ Reply to Thread