User creation for BEA WLS 8.1 install and operation (UNIX) - Weblogic

This is a discussion on User creation for BEA WLS 8.1 install and operation (UNIX) - Weblogic ; Can anyone give me guidance on the appropriate user for the installation and operation of BEA WLS 8.1 on UNIX (HP-UX)? It my first time installing this application and I was expecting to be told to create an o/s user ...

  1. User creation for BEA WLS 8.1 install and operation (UNIX)

    Can anyone give me guidance on the appropriate user for the
    installation and operation of BEA WLS 8.1 on UNIX (HP-UX)?

    It my first time installing this application and I was expecting to be
    told to create an o/s user and group which would own the application
    at the O/S level. The documentation from BEA at
    http://edocs.bea.com/wls/docs81/install/index.html is good but does
    not allude to the install user/group etc. Can anyone provide guidance
    ? I am looking for a solution similar to Oracle installation where
    root is not involved in the general operation/administration.

  2. Re: User creation for BEA WLS 8.1 install and operation (UNIX)

    strepxe@yahoo.co.uk (championsleeper) wrote in message news:<103a78f3.0311090844.1b55724e@posting.google.com>...
    > Can anyone give me guidance on the appropriate user for the
    > installation and operation of BEA WLS 8.1 on UNIX (HP-UX)?
    >
    > It my first time installing this application and I was expecting to be
    > told to create an o/s user and group which would own the application
    > at the O/S level. The documentation from BEA at
    > http://edocs.bea.com/wls/docs81/install/index.html is good but does
    > not allude to the install user/group etc. Can anyone provide guidance
    > ? I am looking for a solution similar to Oracle installation where
    > root is not involved in the general operation/administration.

    In case anyone is interested, here's the procedure I followed on
    hp-ux:

    1. Create bea userID and bea group with home directory /apps/bea
    2. Created logical volume for /apps/bea ( 2.0 Gb in size).
    3. Downloaded binary install and gave ownership to bea.
    4. Logged in as this user, set umask 022, exported display (was using
    cygwin) and ran installer.
    5. Install process was pretty straightforward. I was only using jms
    queues so the configuration process was pretty easy.
    6. Finally, installed my license from bea using the script
    updatelicense.sh installed in the /apps/bea directory.

+ Reply to Thread