Largest session size ? - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Largest session size ? - Weblogic ; From: "J Johnson" Newsgroups: weblogic.developer.interest.jsp,weblogic.developer .interest.servlet,weblogic.developer.interest.webs erver Subject: Largest session size ? Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:45:00 -0400 Lines: 10 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165 NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.148.48.18 X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.148.48.18 ...

  1. Largest session size ?

    From: "J Johnson"
    Newsgroups: weblogic.developer.interest.jsp,weblogic.developer .interest.servlet,weblogic.developer.interest.webs erver
    Subject: Largest session size ?
    Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:45:00 -0400

    How big should the size of data in a single HTTP session be ?
    How big is too big ?
    Is there some standards / best practice ?
    Some people I work wioth want to store 2MB in a session !!
    I think that is too much (too big)...
    Please help !!

    -JJ

  2. Re: Largest session size ?

    > Is there some standards / best practice ?
    > How big should the size of data in a single HTTP session be ?

    For scalability, you want your sessions to be as small as possible.

    If you are in a clustered environment with replicated sessions, and you are
    using 2MB sessions, then you are going to kill performance generally.

    Regards,
    Jon

  3. Re: Largest session size ?

    > > Is there some standards / best practice ?
    > > How big should the size of data in a single HTTP session be ?

    > For scalability, you want your sessions to be as small as possible.

    Generally, it seems that session size also affects performance and
    reliability.

    > If you are in a clustered environment with replicated sessions, and you

    are
    > using 2MB sessions, then you are going to kill performance generally.

    Definitely ... even with an advanced session management implementation, a
    lot of 2MB sessions would be extremely hard to work with. You probably want
    to limit your sessions to under 4KB with WebLogic's clustered session
    management if the site has heavy load and lots of sessions. Remember: when
    it comes to sessions, smaller is better.

    If you need to keep lots of data, question whether it should be in the
    session at all -- only keep user-specific or session-specific data in the
    session. Some apps end up with the same 100KB of data in basically every
    session, which is just silly. For general clustered caching, use a more
    applicable solution like Coherence.

    Also, if you require an advanced session management implementation, we have
    a pilot program for our upcoming 2.3 release that is focused on session
    managements for high scale (e.g. one pilot site of over 100 servers) / high
    volume (10k+ concurrent users) sites that have high RASP requirements for
    their session management. We plan to support all the way back to WLS 4.5.1.

    Peace,

    Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    http://www.tangosol.com/coherence.jsp
    Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Replicated Cache for Weblogic

    "Jon Mountjoy" wrote in message

+ Reply to Thread