Uniqueness off Http Session id - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Uniqueness off Http Session id - Weblogic ; We have two different servers WLS 7.0.2(not in a cluster) who shares the same database. In the database we have a tabel which uses the HttpSession ID as a primary key. We have seen one insert error from the database ...

  1. Uniqueness off Http Session id

    We have two different servers WLS 7.0.2(not in a cluster) who shares the same database.
    In the database we have a tabel which uses the HttpSession ID as a primary key.
    We have seen one insert error from the database concerning orimary key violation
    on the table mentioned above.

    Now my questions are these:

    1. Can we be sure that the two servers never produces the same session ID?

    2. Can a server produce the same Http Session id after eg a restart. (How unique
    is the session id?)

    I have seen some related posts, but none of the them answers the question precise
    for WLS 7.0.2

  2. Re: Uniqueness off Http Session id

    Allan wrote:
    > We have two different servers WLS 7.0.2(not in a cluster) who shares the same database.
    > In the database we have a tabel which uses the HttpSession ID as a primary key.
    > We have seen one insert error from the database concerning orimary key violation
    > on the table mentioned above.
    >
    > Now my questions are these:
    >
    > 1. Can we be sure that the two servers never produces the same session ID?

    Yes if you session id is long enough. The default is 52 characters in
    length so it should be sufficient.

    > 2. Can a server produce the same Http Session id after eg a restart. (How unique
    > is the session id?)

    No it doesn't produce the same id.

    > I have seen some related posts, but none of the them answers the question precise
    > for WLS 7.0.2

    Cheers,

    -- Prasad

  3. Re: Uniqueness off Http Session id

    > We have two different servers WLS 7.0.2(not in a cluster) who shares the
    same database.
    > In the database we have a tabel which uses the HttpSession ID as a primary

    key.
    > We have seen one insert error from the database concerning orimary key

    violation
    > on the table mentioned above.

    If they are for two different purposes, use two different tables.

    If they are for the same purpose (i.e. clustering via a database) then
    you're really hurting for speed, because that's about the slowest way to run
    WebLogic.

    Peace,

    Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    http://www.tangosol.com/coherence.jsp
    Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Replicated Cache for Weblogic

    "Allan " wrote in message

+ Reply to Thread