I am porting Bea Workshop application to Tomcat Server. According to the Bea Porting Instructions I added VALVE tag to my server.xml file (Tomcat configuration file) in order to enable page flows.

But this tag has disabled my Form Based Authentication (using Realms) in this way that application has stopped asking for credentials.

I do not know if this is expected behavior.

Do I really need this VALVE tag?
I suspect that it is only for PageFlow authentication, which I do not use.
Or maybe there is a way to use this tag and Form Authentication.?

Any suggestions?