IllegalArgument: Key Empty exception during SSL negotiation - Weblogic

This is a discussion on IllegalArgument: Key Empty exception during SSL negotiation - Weblogic ; We appear to have our managed server correctly configured for SSL with PEM versions of our certificate and private key. A browser can display an "I'm alive" page from our webapp running behind the managed server's SSL port. However when ...

  1. IllegalArgument: Key Empty exception during SSL negotiation

    We appear to have our managed server correctly configured for SSL with PEM versions
    of our certificate and private key. A browser can display an "I'm alive" page
    from our webapp running behind the managed server's SSL port.

    However when the app itself attempts to connect to the same SSL port the SSL handshake
    falls over. The stack trace below seems to indicate that it has successfully accepted
    the certificate and negotiated a ciphersuite. But when a session key is generated
    it falls over.

    I have SSL debugging turned on. The fragment of the output is:
    <000000>
    <000000>
    <000000>
    <000000>
    <000000>
    <000000> <4249317 readRecord()>
    <000000> <4249317 received HANDSHAKE>
    <000000>
    <000000> checks: localhost>
    <000000> = 20>
    <000000> < cert[0] = Serial number:
    3
    Issuer:C=CA, O=Cognos, CN=CA
    Subject:C=CA, O=Cognos, CN=CAMUSER
    Not Valid Before:Sun May 23 15:46:31 EDT 2004
    Not Valid After:Thu May 25 15:46:31 EDT 2006
    Signature Algorithm:SHA/DSA

    <000000> validation status 0>
    <000000> 0>
    <000000>
    <000000>
    <000000>
    <000000>
    <000000> <118766 readRecord()>
    <000000> <118766 received HANDSHAKE>
    <000000>
    <000000> stack trace follows
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Empty key
    at javax.crypto.spec.SecretKeySpec.([DashoPro-V1.2-120198])
    at com.certicom.tls.provider.Mac.init(Unknown Source)
    at com.certicom.tls.ciphersuite.SecurityParameters.TL S_PRF(Unknown Source)
    at com.certicom.tls.ciphersuite.SecurityParameters.TL S_PRF(Unknown Source)
    at com.certicom.tls.ciphersuite.SecurityParameters.ma keKeysExportable(Unknown
    Source)
    at com.certicom.tls.ciphersuite.SecurityParameters.de riveKeys(Unknown
    Source)
    at com.certicom.tls.ciphersuite.SecurityParameters.(Unknown Source)
    at com.certicom.tls.record.handshake.HandshakeHandler .generateSecurityParameters(Unknown
    Source)

    I am at my wits end with this. Our app has followed the documentation at http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs70/sec...t.html#1029580
    and its not clear to me what we are missing.

    And help would be greatly appreciated.

    TIA
    Garth

  2. Re: IllegalArgument: Key Empty exception during SSL negotiation

    *sigh* (formating)...

[...]

  3. Re: IllegalArgument: Key Empty exception during SSL negotiation

[...]

+ Reply to Thread