Custom Authentication Provider with dependencies on a web application - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Custom Authentication Provider with dependencies on a web application - Weblogic ; I have deployed a Custom Authentication Provider on Weblogic 8.1 SP2 using the Sample Providers from Dev2Dev. As of now, my 'AuthenticatorDatabase' implementation is a 'stub' and things to seem work well in that mode. However, to facilitate appropriate authentication ...

  1. Custom Authentication Provider with dependencies on a web application

    I have deployed a Custom Authentication Provider on Weblogic 8.1 SP2 using the
    Sample Providers from Dev2Dev. As of now, my 'AuthenticatorDatabase' implementation
    is a 'stub' and things to seem work well in that mode. However, to facilitate
    appropriate authentication for my application, my 'AuthenticatorDatabase' implementation
    needs to use certain components/classes that are deployed within a web application
    in the same weblogic server.

    The problem I'm facing is that when I try and use any of my web application classes
    within the custom Authentication Provider, the login process seems to fail. I
    don't get any exception per se within my web application, but I can see the flow
    terminate abruptly right after the Authentication Provider method getLoginModuleConfiguration()
    returns. It seems as if the AuthenticationProvider cannot instantiate my LoginModule
    at all.

    My guess is that what I am seeing is probably related to the way classloader hierarchies
    work in Weblogic; however I don't quite understand which class loader is responsible
    for loading the custom authentication provider.

    My questions for this group were :

    1. Is it possible to access classes/components deployed in a web application from
    within the custom authentication provider?
    2. If yes, what is the proposed application deployment / packaging structure?

    Any help / pointers would be most appreciated.

    Regards.

  2. Re: Custom Authentication Provider with dependencies on a web application

    Amit Xerxes wrote:

    > 1. Is it possible to access classes/components deployed in a web application from
    > within the custom authentication provider?

    No.

    > 2. If yes, what is the proposed application deployment / packaging structure?

    You need to duplicate any shared classes I am afraid. Writing a security
    provider can be a bit more work because of this. You can't easily use
    things like data sources either.

    Robert

+ Reply to Thread