Too many open files on HP-UX, WLS6.1 - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Too many open files on HP-UX, WLS6.1 - Weblogic ; I am facing "Too many open files" issue on Unix. I have monitored the open file handles using lsof utility, but the utility is not giving the name of the file which is open. Rather it gives the filesystem. Could ...

  1. Too many open files on HP-UX, WLS6.1

    I am facing "Too many open files" issue on Unix. I have monitored the open file handles using lsof utility, but the utility is not giving the name of the file which is open. Rather it gives the filesystem.

    Could some one tell me how else can I check the leak of descriptors ?... I have checked the code and could not find any instance of unclosed file streams. I could find it on net that some of the jdk has got this bug.

    My environment details:
    OS: HP-UX 11i
    jdk: 1.3.1
    WLS : 6.1 sp5

    The entries in the lsof output are as below:
    java 6405 appadm2 140u REG 64,0x15003a 355 23571 /app (/dev/vgxp05/app)

    Regards,
    Anirudh

  2. Re: Too many open files on HP-UX, WLS6.1

    Anirudh Chitnis wrote (in part):

    > I am facing "Too many open files" issue on Unix. I have monitored
    > the open file handles using lsof utility, but the utility is not
    > giving the name of the file which is open. Rather it gives the
    > filesystem.

    Read the answer in the lsof FAQ to question 3.3 to understand why
    lsof can't always report full path names.

    > Could some one tell me how else can I check the leak of descriptors?

    The same answer to the same lsof FAQ question explains that. when
    lsof can't deliver the file's path name, it does deliver enough
    information -- the file system name and the node name -- to
    enable you to use find(1) to locate the path name.
    Vic Abell, lsof author

  3. Re: Too many open files on HP-UX, WLS6.1

    Does your application open sockets? They are file descriptors as well.

    -- Rob

    Anirudh Chitnis wrote:
    > I am facing "Too many open files" issue on Unix. I have monitored the open file handles using lsof utility, but the utility is not giving the name of the file which is open. Rather it gives the filesystem.
    >
    > Could some one tell me how else can I check the leak of descriptors ?... I have checked the code and could not find any instance of unclosed file streams. I could find it on net that some of the jdk has got this bug.
    >
    > My environment details:
    > OS: HP-UX 11i
    > jdk: 1.3.1
    > WLS : 6.1 sp5
    >
    > The entries in the lsof output are as below:
    > java 6405 appadm2 140u REG 64,0x15003a 355 23571 /app (/dev/vgxp05/app)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Anirudh

+ Reply to Thread