JVM Setting of Max Heap Equal To Max Perm Size - Weblogic

This is a discussion on JVM Setting of Max Heap Equal To Max Perm Size - Weblogic ; Hello, I was wondering based on anyones experience or knowledge if there would be any bad effects in setting the Maximum heap size (-Xmxs) equal to the Maximum Permanent Size (-XX:MaxPermSize)? I have a person that has the following settings ...

  1. JVM Setting of Max Heap Equal To Max Perm Size

    Hello,

    I was wondering based on anyones experience or knowledge if there would be any bad effects in setting the Maximum heap size (-Xmxs) equal to the Maximum Permanent Size (-XX:MaxPermSize)?

    I have a person that has the following settings of:

    -native -Xnoclassgc -ms256m -mx256m -XX:MaxPermSize=256M

    running under WLS 6.1 sp1 on a Sun Solaris box.

    Just curious how this would affect applications running under this environment and if it could attribute to a java.lang.outofmemory error be generated.

    Thanks,
    Bob Krause
    PHS

  2. Re: JVM Setting of Max Heap Equal To Max Perm Size

    The permanent space is allocated outside of the Java heap, so with the specified settings, the total max amount of memory used by the JVM would be the mx setting + MaxPermSize = 512 MB. So, the answer to your question is no, OutOfMemoryErrors cannot be attributed to the relative sizes of the permanent space and the heap.

  3. Re: JVM Setting of Max Heap Equal To Max Perm Size

    "Bob Krause" wrote in message news:19491214.1100812698044.JavaMail.root@jserv5.. .
    > I was wondering based on anyones experience or knowledge if there would be any bad effects in setting the Maximum heap size

    (-Xmxs) equal to the Maximum Permanent Size (-XX:MaxPermSize)?

    > I have a person that has the following settings of:
    >
    > -native -Xnoclassgc -ms256m -mx256m -XX:MaxPermSize=256M
    >
    > running under WLS 6.1 sp1 on a Sun Solaris box.
    >
    > Just curious how this would affect applications running under this environment and if it could attribute to a

    java.lang.outofmemory error be generated.

    The settings above don't make much sense. Check java.sun.com for JVM tuning for details.

    Regards,

    Slava Imeshev

+ Reply to Thread