JMS messages not being redelivered correctly .. - Part II - Weblogic

This is a discussion on JMS messages not being redelivered correctly .. - Part II - Weblogic ; Just as a follow up , I wanted to let you know that if I had the number of retries configured as 6 instead of 10 then I could get the message delivered successfully on the error queue(ie on testweb.queue.AsyncDispatcher_error ...

  1. JMS messages not being redelivered correctly .. - Part II

    Just as a follow up , I wanted to let you know that if I had the number of retries
    configured as 6 instead of 10 then I could get the message delivered successfully
    on the error queue(ie on testweb.queue.AsyncDispatcher_error after 6 retries and
    the MDB listening on the error queue does gets its OnMessage() executed and
    I donot get the onMessageException as mentioned in the earlier mail) . So there
    is something weird about setting a higher value for number of retries . If I set
    it to 10 as mentioned earlier , the message litterally dies after 8 retries and
    does not even make it to the error queue at all .

  2. Re: JMS messages not being redelivered correctly .. - Part II

    This is odd. Are you setting an expiration time on the message?

    kar piyush wrote:

    > Just as a follow up , I wanted to let you know that if I had the number of retries
    > configured as 6 instead of 10 then I could get the message delivered successfully
    > on the error queue(ie on testweb.queue.AsyncDispatcher_error after 6 retries and
    > the MDB listening on the error queue does gets its OnMessage() executed and
    > I donot get the onMessageException as mentioned in the earlier mail) . So there
    > is something weird about setting a higher value for number of retries . If I set
    > it to 10 as mentioned earlier , the message litterally dies after 8 retries and
    > does not even make it to the error queue at all .

  3. Re: JMS messages not being redelivered correctly .. - Part II

    Hi Tom

    I have traced this error and it has to do with the internal handling of JMS queues
    by weblogic workshop . We are using workshop for our J2EE developement and by
    default workshop creates 2 JMS queues(one main queue and another error queue )
    for every web project . This is created by default even if you have nothing to
    do with JMS in your application (which is weird though but again it could be tied
    to their internal design of workshop)). To avoid reating a new JMS queue , I tried
    to use their existing JMS queues and every time I got the OnMessageException thrown
    after 8 retries . Finally for a change I decided to create a totally new JMS queue
    with the same settings as the pre-existing workshop created JMS queue and VOILA
    !! everything worked as expected . I am pretty sure it is a bug and will report
    it to BEA Workshop guys. Its just that I was stuck up withthis scenario for 3-4
    days which was very frustrating . That is one of the pitfalls of sticking to a
    proprietory technology (of course some of it is being made open sourced in beehive)
    as the gotchas are not well documented .

    Thanks

    Kar

    PN - Yeah I agree I should have posted this in the workshop forum which in factI
    did but did not get any answer so I tried this one.
    Tom Barnes
    wrote:
    >This is odd. Are you setting an expiration time on the message?
    >
    >kar piyush wrote:
    >
    >> Just as a follow up , I wanted to let you know that if I had the number

    >of retries
    >> configured as 6 instead of 10 then I could get the message delivered

    >successfully
    >> on the error queue(ie on testweb.queue.AsyncDispatcher_error after

    >6 retries and
    >> the MDB listening on the error queue does gets its OnMessage() executed

    >and
    >> I donot get the onMessageException as mentioned in the earlier mail)

    >. So there
    >> is something weird about setting a higher value for number of retries

    >. If I set
    >> it to 10 as mentioned earlier , the message litterally dies after 8

    >retries and
    >> does not even make it to the error queue at all .

+ Reply to Thread