Message driven beans and object binding - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Message driven beans and object binding - Weblogic ; I want to write a message driven bean, and use javax.naming.Context's "bind(String, Object)" method to bind the data to a key and eventually do a unbind(String) to look up the data . Is binding/unbinding of object is allowed inside a ...

  1. Message driven beans and object binding

    I want to write a message driven bean, and use javax.naming.Context's "bind(String,
    Object)" method to bind the data to a key and eventually do a unbind(String) to
    look up the data . Is binding/unbinding of object is allowed inside a message
    driven bean or this violates the EJB2.0 spec? Also, does this have any negative
    consequences if I use a Weblogic cluster as opposed to a single instance? Any
    suggestions

  2. Re: Message driven beans and object binding

    Hi Austin,

    - I don't know if it is "legal" in EJB 2.0
    to call bind/unbind within an MDB. I
    would assume so, but I'm not sure. You can try confirming with
    the jndi and ejb newsgroups. Of course, if you don't
    ask, then no one can tell you "no". ;-)

    - Bind/unbind is a relatively expensive call performance-wise. I
    suspect one might want to avoid doing too many of these per
    second (the jndi newsgroup may be able to give pointers here.)

    - Servers in a cluster do not instantly propagate bind/unbind info
    to other servers in cluster, and JNDI may have trouble
    efficiently supporting larger objects: both potential drawbacks
    to using JNDI for data caching purposes.

    Tom, BEA

    Austin P wrote:

    > I want to write a message driven bean, and use javax.naming.Context's "bind(String,
    > Object)" method to bind the data to a key and eventually do a unbind(String) to
    > look up the data . Is binding/unbinding of object is allowed inside a message
    > driven bean or this violates the EJB2.0 spec? Also, does this have any negative
    > consequences if I use a Weblogic cluster as opposed to a single instance? Any
    > suggestions

+ Reply to Thread