JMS Server on non-clustered servers without clustering license - Weblogic

This is a discussion on JMS Server on non-clustered servers without clustering license - Weblogic ; We have serveral Linux AS 2.1 server boxes running behind a load balancer, with each server box running a managed server. We would like to set up a JMS Server with queues and topics on one of the server boxes. ...

  1. JMS Server on non-clustered servers without clustering license

    We have serveral Linux AS 2.1 server boxes running behind a load balancer, with
    each server box running a managed server. We would like to set up a JMS Server
    with queues and topics on one of the server boxes. We would like to access those
    queues and topics from all remote server boxes in a non-clustered environment,
    without using the clustering license.

    Is this doable? I'm somewhat confused on the reading of the JMS Server capabilities
    and whether BEA clustering license is required to have remote servers within the
    domain to access a JMS server on another server box in the domain.

    It seems like one should be able to do this, but I'm having some difficulty setting
    it up.

    Thanks for any help and pointers.

    Chet

  2. Re: JMS Server on non-clustered servers without clustering license

    Hi Chet,

    I'm not sure what you are licensed for,
    here is a feature matrix:

    http://dev2dev.bea.com/products/wlx_matrix81.jsp

    JMS provides several features to allow for
    cross-domain communication.
    The simplest is to configure an MDB with the URL of the remote
    server, other options are using the messaging
    bridge, calling the JMS client APIs directly,
    using the JMS resource-reference pooling feature,
    and using the JMS "foreign destination" feature. All
    of these features can also be used to communicate
    with non-WebLogic JMS vendors.

    I'm 99% sure that if you have a license for JMS,
    you also have all of these capabilities. For more
    information start here:

    http://dev2dev.bea.com/technologies/jms/index.jsp

    The main thing to be aware of is that all
    WL servers, JMS servers, and JMS stores must
    be uniquely named - even if they are running
    in different domains.

    Tom

    Chet Yoder wrote:
    > We have serveral Linux AS 2.1 server boxes running behind a load balancer, with
    > each server box running a managed server. We would like to set up a JMS Server
    > with queues and topics on one of the server boxes. We would like to access those
    > queues and topics from all remote server boxes in a non-clustered environment,
    > without using the clustering license.
    >
    > Is this doable? I'm somewhat confused on the reading of the JMS Server capabilities
    > and whether BEA clustering license is required to have remote servers within the
    > domain to access a JMS server on another server box in the domain.
    >
    > It seems like one should be able to do this, but I'm having some difficulty setting
    > it up.
    >
    > Thanks for any help and pointers.
    >
    > Chet

  3. Re: JMS Server on non-clustered servers without clustering license

    Tom,

    Thanks for the reply. We have the WLS Advantage license, not the WLS Premium
    license. This should give us access to JMS, but not BEA Clustering.

    We want to load balance web service requests across several servers that reside
    behind a load balancer. We want to do this without using BEA Clustering. I believe
    we can do this by having a managed server run on each box behind the load balancer
    to handle requests, with a JMS Server running on one of the boxes. We want to
    load balance the web service requests and route them to any one of the boxes,
    which we then want to be able to put messages in a topic or queue on the JMS Server.
    The MDBs residing on the same box as the JMS Server will then process those messages.

    We also want to consider distributed destinations to load balance those MDBs across
    all server boxes behind the load balancer.

    My question is, does this license (WLS Advantage) allow this functionality, or
    do we need BEA Clustering?

    Thanks,

    Chet

    Tom Barnes wrote:
    >Hi Chet,
    >
    >I'm not sure what you are licensed for,
    >here is a feature matrix:
    >
    >http://dev2dev.bea.com/products/wlx_matrix81.jsp
    >
    >JMS provides several features to allow for
    >cross-domain communication.
    >The simplest is to configure an MDB with the URL of the remote
    >server, other options are using the messaging
    >bridge, calling the JMS client APIs directly,
    >using the JMS resource-reference pooling feature,
    >and using the JMS "foreign destination" feature. All
    >of these features can also be used to communicate
    >with non-WebLogic JMS vendors.
    >
    >I'm 99% sure that if you have a license for JMS,
    >you also have all of these capabilities. For more
    >information start here:
    >
    >http://dev2dev.bea.com/technologies/jms/index.jsp
    >
    >The main thing to be aware of is that all
    >WL servers, JMS servers, and JMS stores must
    >be uniquely named - even if they are running
    >in different domains.
    >
    >Tom
    >
    >Chet Yoder wrote:
    >> We have serveral Linux AS 2.1 server boxes running behind a load balancer,

    >with
    >> each server box running a managed server. We would like to set up

    >a JMS Server
    >> with queues and topics on one of the server boxes. We would like to

    >access those
    >> queues and topics from all remote server boxes in a non-clustered environment,
    >> without using the clustering license.
    >>
    >> Is this doable? I'm somewhat confused on the reading of the JMS Server

    >capabilities
    >> and whether BEA clustering license is required to have remote servers

    >within the
    >> domain to access a JMS server on another server box in the domain.

    >> It seems like one should be able to do this, but I'm having some difficulty

    >setting
    >> it up.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help and pointers.
    >>
    >> Chet

  4. Re: JMS Server on non-clustered servers without clustering license

    (1) As noted in my previous reply, communicating with
    a remote JMS server is supported in various ways. This
    is a common use case, supported by all JMS vendors. WL
    provides extra features to simplify the task. So the
    answer is yes, you can have multiple servers in multiple
    domains all be clients to a single JMS server.

    (2) The distributed destination feature requires clustering.

+ Reply to Thread