mysterious JNDI error as connecting to WL 8.1 JMS server in an applet - Weblogic

This is a discussion on mysterious JNDI error as connecting to WL 8.1 JMS server in an applet - Weblogic ; Hi all i tried to follow below technical article to enable my applet to subscribe to a JMS topic setup on the WL server 8.1 http://dev2dev.bea.com/products/wlse...ms_applets.jsp However, my applet always threw below error msg as initialize the JNDI context. [ ...

  1. mysterious JNDI error as connecting to WL 8.1 JMS server in an applet

    Hi all

    i tried to follow below technical article to enable my applet to subscribe to
    a JMS topic setup on the WL server 8.1 http://dev2dev.bea.com/products/wlse...ms_applets.jsp

    However, my applet always threw below error msg as initialize the JNDI context.

    [
    JNDI NamingException: javax.naming.NamingException: Couldn't connect to any host
    [Root exception is org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE: vmcid: SUN minor code: 201
    completed: No]

    ]

    I had used "localhost:7001" as the JNDI "PROVIDER_URL" which is also the url from
    which the applet was downloaded
    As i modified my applet to run as a standalone java swing client program with
    same code subscribing to JMS server. No error occurred.
    I am confused what's wrong with my applet. If my applet is signed, will it be
    the cause of error.

    Highly appreciated somebody can help me out of above trouble.

    thank u a lot in advance !
    dso

  2. Re: mysterious JNDI error as connecting to WL 8.1 JMS server in anapplet

    I'm wondering if the IP restrictions around localhost are
    causing the problem. Try using a configured listen
    address that matches one of the host machines
    IP addresses, or setting the listen address to "" - not localhost.
    Then use the host's address, not "localhost", as your
    client URL.

    Do both the Swing client and the applet client
    use the same jar files? The "thin client" jar
    files always use the IIOP protocol even if t3
    is specified, and furthermore
    use a "thinner" version of the IIOP protocol
    than the full weblogic.jar file.

    dso wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > i tried to follow below technical article to enable my applet to subscribe to
    > a JMS topic setup on the WL server 8.1 http://dev2dev.bea.com/products/wlse...ms_applets.jsp
    >

    > However, my applet always threw below error msg as initialize the JNDI context.
    >
    > [
    > JNDI NamingException: javax.naming.NamingException: Couldn't connect to any host
    > [Root exception is org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE: vmcid: SUN minor code: 201
    > completed: No]
    >
    > ]
    >
    > I had used "localhost:7001" as the JNDI "PROVIDER_URL" which is also the url from
    > which the applet was downloaded
    > As i modified my applet to run as a standalone java swing client program with
    > same code subscribing to JMS server. No error occurred.
    > I am confused what's wrong with my applet. If my applet is signed, will it be
    > the cause of error.
    >
    > Highly appreciated somebody can help me out of above trouble.
    >
    > thank u a lot in advance !
    > dso

  3. Re: mysterious JNDI error as connecting to WL 8.1 JMS server in an

    yes, both swing applet and standalone app used same jar files for WL JMS thin client.
    Also, i tried out both t3 and http tunneling. Both had same problem. But i tried
    out your suggestion of using IP instead of localhost

    regards
    dso

    Tom Barnes wrote:
    >I'm wondering if the IP restrictions around localhost are
    >causing the problem. Try using a configured listen
    >address that matches one of the host machines
    >IP addresses, or setting the listen address to "" - not localhost.
    >Then use the host's address, not "localhost", as your
    >client URL.
    >
    >Do both the Swing client and the applet client
    >use the same jar files? The "thin client" jar
    >files always use the IIOP protocol even if t3
    >is specified, and furthermore
    >use a "thinner" version of the IIOP protocol
    >than the full weblogic.jar file.
    >
    >dso wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> i tried to follow below technical article to enable my applet to subscribe

    >> a JMS topic setup on the WL server 8.1 http://dev2dev.bea.com/products/wlse...ms_applets.jsp
    >>

    >> However, my applet always threw below error msg as initialize the JNDI

    >context.
    >>
    >> [
    >> JNDI NamingException: javax.naming.NamingException: Couldn't connect

    >to any host
    >> [Root exception is org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE: vmcid: SUN minor

    >code: 201
    >> completed: No]
    >>
    >> ]
    >>
    >> I had used "localhost:7001" as the JNDI "PROVIDER_URL" which is also

    >the url from
    >> which the applet was downloaded
    >> As i modified my applet to run as a standalone java swing client program

    >with
    >> same code subscribing to JMS server. No error occurred.
    >> I am confused what's wrong with my applet. If my applet is signed,

    >will it be
    >> the cause of error.
    >>
    >> Highly appreciated somebody can help me out of above trouble.
    >>
    >> thank u a lot in advance !
    >> dso

  4. Re: mysterious JNDI error as connecting to WL 8.1 JMS server in an

    dso wrote:

    > yes, both swing applet and standalone app used same jar files for WL JMS thin client.
    > Also, i tried out both t3 and http tunneling. Both had same problem. But i tried
    > out your suggestion of using IP instead of localhost

    Note that with the thin client, all protocols are converted to
    iiop (or, with tunneling, iiop over http). Specifying "t3"
    is no different than specifying "iiop".

    Did modifying the IP work?

    Do you have the patch and/or service-pack that the white-paper
    notes are required?

    Does this work if you use the full "weblogic.jar" rather
    than the thin client?

    You might try posting to the rmi-iiop newsgroup, which
    "owns" these type of issues. As it is the initial
    RMI connection/JNDI context setup, and not JMS (which hasn't
    been called yet), that is failing.

    > regards
    > dso
    >
    > Tom Barnes wrote:
    >
    >>I'm wondering if the IP restrictions around localhost are
    >>causing the problem. Try using a configured listen
    >>address that matches one of the host machines
    >>IP addresses, or setting the listen address to "" - not localhost.
    >>Then use the host's address, not "localhost", as your
    >>client URL.
    >>
    >>Do both the Swing client and the applet client
    >>use the same jar files? The "thin client" jar
    >>files always use the IIOP protocol even if t3
    >>is specified, and furthermore
    >>use a "thinner" version of the IIOP protocol
    >>than the full weblogic.jar file.
    >>
    >>dso wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi all
    >>>
    >>>i tried to follow below technical article to enable my applet to subscribe

    >>>a JMS topic setup on the WL server 8.1 http://dev2dev.bea.com/products/wlse...ms_applets.jsp
    >>>

    >>>However, my applet always threw below error msg as initialize the JNDI

    >>context.
    >>
    >>>[
    >>>JNDI NamingException: javax.naming.NamingException: Couldn't connect

    >>to any host
    >>
    >>>[Root exception is org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE: vmcid: SUN minor

    >>code: 201
    >>
    >>>completed: No]
    >>>
    >>>]
    >>>
    >>>I had used "localhost:7001" as the JNDI "PROVIDER_URL" which is also

    >>the url from
    >>
    >>>which the applet was downloaded
    >>>As i modified my applet to run as a standalone java swing client program

    >>with
    >>
    >>>same code subscribing to JMS server. No error occurred.
    >>>I am confused what's wrong with my applet. If my applet is signed,

    >>will it be
    >>
    >>>the cause of error.
    >>>
    >>>Highly appreciated somebody can help me out of above trouble.
    >>>
    >>>thank u a lot in advance !
    >>>dso

  5. Re: mysterious JNDI error as connecting to WL 8.1 JMS server in an

    Tom

    I have tried out the hostname and IP. Also, I had set the "listen addr" accordingly.
    But it still failed. By the way, i did have the patch mentioned in that white
    paper. In fact, that white paper did not provide info where the patch could be
    found. Could u please help to provide info of getting the patch ?

    thanks & regards
    dso

    Tom Barnes wrote:
    >dso wrote:
    >
    >> yes, both swing applet and standalone app used same jar files for WL

    >JMS thin client.
    >> Also, i tried out both t3 and http tunneling. Both had same problem.

    >But i tried
    >> out your suggestion of using IP instead of localhost

    >Note that with the thin client, all protocols are converted to
    >iiop (or, with tunneling, iiop over http). Specifying "t3"
    >is no different than specifying "iiop".
    >
    >Did modifying the IP work?
    >
    >Do you have the patch and/or service-pack that the white-paper
    >notes are required?
    >
    >Does this work if you use the full "weblogic.jar" rather
    >than the thin client?
    >
    >You might try posting to the rmi-iiop newsgroup, which
    >"owns" these type of issues. As it is the initial
    >RMI connection/JNDI context setup, and not JMS (which hasn't
    >been called yet), that is failing.
    >

    >> regards
    >> dso
    >>
    >> Tom Barnes wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm wondering if the IP restrictions around localhost are
    >>>causing the problem. Try using a configured listen
    >>>address that matches one of the host machines
    >>>IP addresses, or setting the listen address to "" - not localhost.
    >>>Then use the host's address, not "localhost", as your
    >>>client URL.
    >>>
    >>>Do both the Swing client and the applet client
    >>>use the same jar files? The "thin client" jar
    >>>files always use the IIOP protocol even if t3
    >>>is specified, and furthermore
    >>>use a "thinner" version of the IIOP protocol
    >>>than the full weblogic.jar file.

    >JNDI
    >>>
    >>>context.

    >>>to any host

    >>>code: 201

    >>>the url from

    >>>with

    >>>will it be

  6. Re: mysterious JNDI error as connecting to WL 8.1 JMS server in an

    sorry, a typo

    By the way, i did NOT have the patch mentioned in that white

    "dso" wrote:

    >Tom
    >
    >I have tried out the hostname and IP. Also, I had set the "listen addr"
    >accordingly.
    >But it still failed. By the way, i did have the patch mentioned in that
    >white
    >paper. In fact, that white paper did not provide info where the patch
    >could be
    >found. Could u please help to provide info of getting the patch ?
    >
    >thanks & regards
    >dso
    >
    >Tom Barnes wrote:
    >>dso wrote:
    >>
    >>> yes, both swing applet and standalone app used same jar files for

    >WL
    >>JMS thin client.
    >>> Also, i tried out both t3 and http tunneling. Both had same problem.

    >>But i tried
    >>> out your suggestion of using IP instead of localhost

    >>Note that with the thin client, all protocols are converted to
    >>iiop (or, with tunneling, iiop over http). Specifying "t3"
    >>is no different than specifying "iiop".
    >>
    >>Did modifying the IP work?
    >>
    >>Do you have the patch and/or service-pack that the white-paper
    >>notes are required?
    >>
    >>Does this work if you use the full "weblogic.jar" rather
    >>than the thin client?
    >>
    >>You might try posting to the rmi-iiop newsgroup, which
    >>"owns" these type of issues. As it is the initial
    >>RMI connection/JNDI context setup, and not JMS (which hasn't
    >>been called yet), that is failing.
    >>

    >>> regards
    >>> dso

    >subscribe

    >>JNDI

    >program

  7. Re: mysterious JNDI error as connecting to WL 8.1 JMS server in an

    I think the latest SP (service-pack) contains the patch. You can
    download SPs from support.bea.com. As for downloading
    a patch, I'm not sure how this is done - you may
    need to place a direct request to customer support
    to get it.

    Tom

    dso wrote:
    > sorry, a typo
    >
    > By the way, i did NOT have the patch mentioned in that white
    > paper. In fact, that white paper did not provide info where the patch
    > could be found. Could u please help to provide info of getting the patch ?
    >
    > thanks & regards
    > dso
    >
    > "dso" wrote:
    >
    >>Tom
    >>
    >>I have tried out the hostname and IP. Also, I had set the "listen addr"
    >>accordingly.
    >>But it still failed. By the way, i did have the patch mentioned in that
    >>white
    >>paper. In fact, that white paper did not provide info where the patch
    >>could be
    >>found. Could u please help to provide info of getting the patch ?
    >>
    >>thanks & regards
    >>dso
    >>
    >>Tom Barnes wrote:

    >>WL
    >>
    >>>JMS thin client.

    >>>But i tried

    >>>Note that with the thin client, all protocols are converted to
    >>>iiop (or, with tunneling, iiop over http). Specifying "t3"
    >>>is no different than specifying "iiop".
    >>>
    >>>Did modifying the IP work?
    >>>
    >>>Do you have the patch and/or service-pack that the white-paper
    >>>notes are required?
    >>>
    >>>Does this work if you use the full "weblogic.jar" rather
    >>>than the thin client?
    >>>
    >>>You might try posting to the rmi-iiop newsgroup, which
    >>>"owns" these type of issues. As it is the initial
    >>>RMI connection/JNDI context setup, and not JMS (which hasn't
    >>>been called yet), that is failing.

    >>subscribe

    >>>JNDI

    >>program

  8. Re: mysterious JNDI error as connecting to WL 8.1 JMS server in an

    Hi Tom

    i used weblogic.jar in place of lib for WL server thin client, "wlclient.jar and
    wljmsclient.jar". The applet could work properly. I think there may be some problems
    with the thin client lib of WL 8.1 sp1 on win2000.

    regards
    dso

    Tom Barnes wrote:
    >I think the latest SP (service-pack) contains the patch. You can
    >download SPs from support.bea.com. As for downloading
    >a patch, I'm not sure how this is done - you may
    >need to place a direct request to customer support
    >to get it.
    >
    >Tom
    >
    >dso wrote:
    >> sorry, a typo
    >>
    >> By the way, i did NOT have the patch mentioned in that white
    >> paper. In fact, that white paper did not provide info where the patch
    >> could be found. Could u please help to provide info of getting the

    >patch ?
    >>
    >> thanks & regards
    >> dso
    >>
    >> "dso" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Tom
    >>>
    >>>I have tried out the hostname and IP. Also, I had set the "listen addr"
    >>>accordingly.
    >>>But it still failed. By the way, i did have the patch mentioned in

    >that
    >>>white
    >>>paper. In fact, that white paper did not provide info where the patch
    >>>could be
    >>>found. Could u please help to provide info of getting the patch ?
    >>>
    >>>thanks & regards
    >>>dso

    >>>WL

    >>>subscribe

    >also

    >>>program

  9. Re: mysterious JNDI error as connecting to WL 8.1 JMS server in an

    The known problems section of the JMS applet white-paper
    states that there are problems with applets using
    the 8.1SP1 thin client. The entry is a little
    misleading though, as it mentions only IIOP, but
    fails to mention that all URLs fail (the thin
    client uses IIOP even if T3 is specified). It seems
    likely this is your trouble. For future reference,
    try the recommended patch or try SP2 when using
    the thin jar.

+ Reply to Thread