Optimum Number Of JMS Bridges - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Optimum Number Of JMS Bridges - Weblogic ; Is there any limit to the number of JMS bridges that can be configured? I have an WLS config with 2 clusters, consisting of 8 WLS instances, 4 in each cluster. One cluster handles the Web application and client end ...

  1. Optimum Number Of JMS Bridges

    Is there any limit to the number of JMS bridges that can be configured?

    I have an WLS config with 2 clusters, consisting of 8 WLS instances, 4
    in each cluster.

    One cluster handles the Web application and client end of the
    application, the other cluster handles the batch processing, report
    generation and all the other activities you don't want on the web app
    side.

    What happens in the web app for example is that a function is
    requested, which places a message on a JMS destination. This message is
    then bridged across to the other cluster which performs the processing.
    Many of the transactions in the system can trigger a process which
    generates 40 - 50 emails at a time, which is why we split the
    configuration into two clusters.

    It is very easy to manage, and I can stop all the back end processing
    for whatever reason, whilst the client end still continues and the
    users are unaware of anything going on.

    From an operational point of view it's very easy to look after, my only
    question is that I have 8 bridges at the moment, and I'm likely to have
    more - is there a problem with having this number?

    They are just one way (front end - back end) and the actual volume of
    messages is relatively small, most of the work goes on in the back end.

    I'd be grateful for any thoughts?

    Pete

    Sent using Virtual Access 5.51 - download your freeware copy now
    http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

  2. Re: Optimum Number Of JMS Bridges

    In theory, there is no restriction on the number of bridges.
    However, you may need to consider the total number of threads needed for a
    server.
    By default, the synchronous bridge uses the default thread pool, however,
    you can configure a separate thread pool for the bridges only. The async
    bridge will use the thread that the JMS server uses to deliver a message.
    Another issue is about ordering. If you configure multiple bridges between
    the same pair of source and target, you cannot guarantee that the messages
    arrive at the target destination in the same order as they are sent to the
    source.
    Thanks,
    Dongbo

    Pete wrote:

    > Is there any limit to the number of JMS bridges that can be configured?
    >
    > I have an WLS config with 2 clusters, consisting of 8 WLS instances, 4
    > in each cluster.
    >
    > One cluster handles the Web application and client end of the
    > application, the other cluster handles the batch processing, report
    > generation and all the other activities you don't want on the web app
    > side.
    >
    > What happens in the web app for example is that a function is
    > requested, which places a message on a JMS destination. This message is
    > then bridged across to the other cluster which performs the processing.
    > Many of the transactions in the system can trigger a process which
    > generates 40 - 50 emails at a time, which is why we split the
    > configuration into two clusters.
    >
    > It is very easy to manage, and I can stop all the back end processing
    > for whatever reason, whilst the client end still continues and the
    > users are unaware of anything going on.
    >
    > From an operational point of view it's very easy to look after, my only
    > question is that I have 8 bridges at the moment, and I'm likely to have
    > more - is there a problem with having this number?
    >
    > They are just one way (front end - back end) and the actual volume of
    > messages is relatively small, most of the work goes on in the back end.
    >
    > I'd be grateful for any thoughts?
    >
    > Pete
    >
    > Sent using Virtual Access 5.51 - download your freeware copy now
    > http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

  3. Re: Optimum Number Of JMS Bridges

    Thanks, I didn't realise that each one ate up my threads!

    How do I go about making the bridges use a different thread pool.

    I can only see options to alter the messaging bridge threadpool size
    (the default seems to be 5) - does setting this option make the
    messaging bridges use a different thread pool?

    Just reading the docs, it looks like a different one to the default is
    used, unless you set the value to -1.

    Pete

  4. Re: Optimum Number Of JMS Bridges

    Hi Pete,

    Each bridge will not occupy one thread entirely. It will yield now and
    then.
    Yes, the bridge thread pool size is the one to adjust the number of
    threads
    in the dedicated bridge thread pool. All bridges running on the server
    share
    this pool.
    Dongbo

    Pete wrote:

    > Thanks, I didn't realise that each one ate up my threads!
    >
    > How do I go about making the bridges use a different thread pool.
    >
    > I can only see options to alter the messaging bridge threadpool size
    > (the default seems to be 5) - does setting this option make the
    > messaging bridges use a different thread pool?
    >
    > Just reading the docs, it looks like a different one to the default is
    > used, unless you set the value to -1.
    >
    > Pete

  5. Re: Optimum Number Of JMS Bridges

    Ok, thanks I'll have a look at that option and see how it works.

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread