Message Bridge or Foreign JMS - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Message Bridge or Foreign JMS - Weblogic ; HI We are planning to use MQ with our WebLogic setup we are using WL8.1 and MQ 5.2. Just wanted to find out if setting up MQ as a Foreign JMS is better than Bridging. The Foreign JMS provider setup ...

  1. Message Bridge or Foreign JMS

    HI

    We are planning to use MQ with our WebLogic setup we are using WL8.1
    and MQ 5.2.
    Just wanted to find out if setting up MQ as a Foreign JMS is better than Bridging.
    The Foreign JMS provider setup seems to be much easier than the bridge.

    Do we get two phase commits with Foreign setup.

    Previously 6.1 sp5 when you setup a bridge with MQ the setup used to complain
    saying that we cannot use the XA adapter with 6.1 and MQ5.2, in 8.1 when we setup
    the driver and create a bridge it does not complain anymore does it mean that
    2PC works with WL8.1 and MQ5.2

    Thanks in Advance.
    Shekar

  2. Re: Message Bridge or Foreign JMS

    Hi Sheckar,

    XA with MQ works in 6.1, I do not know why you were
    getting the bridge error message, perhaps you switched
    MQ versions.

    Perhaps you are unaware that:

    MQ5.N supports XA only if the MQ client is running on the
    same machine as the MQ server.

    MQ5.(N+1) contains a feature that allows the MQ client to work
    transactionally remotely. "MQ extended client" or somesuch.

    I think N is 2, but I'm not sure.

    Tom

    Shekar wrote:

    > HI
    >
    > We are planning to use MQ with our WebLogic setup we are using WL8.1
    > and MQ 5.2.
    > Just wanted to find out if setting up MQ as a Foreign JMS is better than Bridging.
    > The Foreign JMS provider setup seems to be much easier than the bridge.
    >
    > Do we get two phase commits with Foreign setup.
    >
    > Previously 6.1 sp5 when you setup a bridge with MQ the setup used to complain
    > saying that we cannot use the XA adapter with 6.1 and MQ5.2, in 8.1 when we setup
    > the driver and create a bridge it does not complain anymore does it mean that
    > 2PC works with WL8.1 and MQ5.2
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.
    > Shekar

  3. Re: Message Bridge or Foreign JMS

    And yes, you may not need the bridge
    in 8.1 unless your use case demands it. The bridge
    is useful for store-and-forward type designs
    between vendors - for instance, with the bridge
    a sender can still send to MQ even if MQ is down
    as they are sending to a WL queue which is bridged
    to MQ.

    Tom Barnes wrote:

    > Hi Sheckar,
    >
    > XA with MQ works in 6.1, I do not know why you were
    > getting the bridge error message, perhaps you switched
    > MQ versions.
    >
    > Perhaps you are unaware that:
    >
    > MQ5.N supports XA only if the MQ client is running on the
    > same machine as the MQ server.
    >
    > MQ5.(N+1) contains a feature that allows the MQ client to work
    > transactionally remotely. "MQ extended client" or somesuch.
    >
    > I think N is 2, but I'm not sure.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > Shekar wrote:
    >
    >> HI
    >> We are planning to use MQ with our WebLogic setup we are
    >> using WL8.1
    >> and MQ 5.2.
    >> Just wanted to find out if setting up MQ as a Foreign JMS is better
    >> than Bridging.
    >> The Foreign JMS provider setup seems to be much easier than the bridge.
    >> Do we get two phase commits with Foreign setup.
    >>
    >> Previously 6.1 sp5 when you setup a bridge with MQ the setup
    >> used to complain
    >> saying that we cannot use the XA adapter with 6.1 and MQ5.2, in 8.1
    >> when we setup
    >> the driver and create a bridge it does not complain anymore does it
    >> mean that
    >> 2PC works with WL8.1 and MQ5.2
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance.
    >> Shekar