cpu usage hang to 100% - Weblogic

This is a discussion on cpu usage hang to 100% - Weblogic ; Hi, we have a web application that after sometime hangs the serveur to 100% usage of its CPU. Impossible till now to get the cause, it's just possible to see that CPU usage slow down at reboot, increase abruptly at ...

  1. cpu usage hang to 100%

    Hi,
    we have a web application that after sometime hangs the serveur to 100% usage
    of its CPU.
    Impossible till now to get the cause, it's just possible to see that CPU usage
    slow down at reboot, increase abruptly at a given time to 100%, some hours later
    the applications stops working.
    I could not find specific information on the subject in any forum. Any information
    on how to identify the cause is welcome.

    We currently use BEA 8.1 sp1 and JDK 1.4.1 for our web application.

    TIA
    Oscar

  2. Re: cpu usage hang to 100%

    oscar wrote:

    > Hi,
    > we have a web application that after sometime hangs the serveur to 100% usage
    > of its CPU.
    > Impossible till now to get the cause, it's just possible to see that CPU usage
    > slow down at reboot, increase abruptly at a given time to 100%, some hours later
    > the applications stops working.
    > I could not find specific information on the subject in any forum. Any information
    > on how to identify the cause is welcome.
    >
    > We currently use BEA 8.1 sp1 and JDK 1.4.1 for our web application.

    Hi, Your's is not a JDBC question... What I would recommend is to get a thread
    dump of the busy server to see what it's doing.
    Joe

    > TIA
    > Oscar

  3. Re: cpu usage hang to 100%

    oscar wrote:

    > Hi,
    > infact I did not mention that we are using JDBC, and IMHO the problem is due to
    > the JDBC usage.
    > Pease find attached a thread dump made few minutes after the CPU went to 100%.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Oscar

    Hi. Ok. The thread dumps in that file shows the weblogic server essentially
    idle except for two threads trying to run servlets, and these threads are
    waiting for a response from some external program. In none of those thread
    dumps are any threads doing anything to do with DBMSes or JDBC. The first thing
    you should look at is the one thread that seems never to change:

    "ExecuteThread: '24' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default'" daemon prio=5 tid=0x2B01BFB0 nid=0x9
    14 runnable [2cb2f000..2cb2fd8c]
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutput.writeStream( ChunkOutput.java:312)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutputWrapper.write Stream(ChunkOutputWrapper.java:155
    )
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletOutputStreamImpl. writeStream(ServletOutputStreamImp
    l.java:564)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletOutputStreamImpl. writeStream(ServletOutputStreamImp
    l.java:553)
    at weblogic.servlet.FileServlet.sendFile(FileServlet. java:565)
    at weblogic.servlet.FileServlet.service(FileServlet.j ava:206)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:853)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl$ServletI nvocationAction.run(ServletStubImp
    l.java:1053)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeSe rvlet(ServletStubImpl.java:387)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeSe rvlet(ServletStubImpl.java:305)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$Ser vletInvocationAction.run(WebAppSer
    vletContext.java:6310)
    at weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubjec t.doAs(AuthenticatedSubject.java:3
    17)
    at weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(Se curityManager.java:118)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.inv okeServlet(WebAppServletContext.ja
    va:3622)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.execu te(ServletRequestImpl.java:2569)
    at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThrea d.java:197)
    at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.ja va:170)

    The other thread, in the last dump is:

    "ExecuteThread: '23' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default'" daemon prio=5 tid=0x2B01B358 nid=0x7
    6c runnable [2caef000..2caefd8c]
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream. java:129)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.a(DashoA6 275)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.read(Dash oA6275)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(Dasho A6275)
    - locked <03370CF0> (a java.lang.Object)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.j(Dasho A6275)
    - locked <03370CE0> (a java.lang.Object)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(Dasho A6275)
    at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppOutputStream.write (DashoA6275)
    - locked <033752A8> (a com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppOutputStream)
    at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedO utputStream.java:69)
    at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(BufferedOutputS tream.java:127)
    - locked <033830F0> (a java.io.BufferedOutputStream)
    at com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection.writeRequest(Connecti on.java:390)
    - locked <0335E228> (a com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection)
    at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapClient.ldapBind(LdapClient.j ava:334)
    - locked <0335E1B8> (a com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapClient)
    at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapClient.authenticate(LdapClie nt.java:193)
    - locked <0335E1B8> (a com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapClient)
    at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.connect(LdapCtx.java:259 7)
    at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.(LdapCtx.java:275)
    at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getUsingURL(LdapC txFactory.java:173)
    at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getUsingURLs(Ldap CtxFactory.java:191)
    at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getLdapCtxInstanc e(LdapCtxFactory.java:136)
    at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getInitialContext (LdapCtxFactory.java:66)
    at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(N amingManager.java:662)
    at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(Init ialContext.java:243)
    at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(InitialContext.ja va:219)
    at javax.naming.InitialContext.(InitialContext.java:195)
    at javax.naming.directory.InitialDirContext.(InitialDirContext.java:80)
    at ldap.LdapUtils.modifyUser(LdapUtils.java:225)
    at jsp_servlet.__competencesutilisateur._jspService(_ _competencesutilisateur.java:384)
    at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspBase.service(JspBase.java: 33)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl$ServletI nvocationAction.run(ServletStubImp
    l.java:1053)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeSe rvlet(ServletStubImpl.java:387)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeSe rvlet(ServletStubImpl.java:305)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$Ser vletInvocationAction.run(WebAppSer
    vletContext.java:6310)
    at weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubjec t.doAs(AuthenticatedSubject.java:3
    17)
    at weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(Se curityManager.java:118)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.inv okeServlet(WebAppServletContext.ja
    va:3622)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.execu te(ServletRequestImpl.java:2569)
    at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThrea d.java:197)
    at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.ja va:170)

    > Joe Weinstein wrote:
    >

    >>oscar wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>we have a web application that after sometime hangs the serveur to

    >>100% usage
    >>
    >>>of its CPU.
    >>>Impossible till now to get the cause, it's just possible to see that

    >>CPU usage
    >>
    >>>slow down at reboot, increase abruptly at a given time to 100%, some

    >>hours later
    >>
    >>>the applications stops working.
    >>>I could not find specific information on the subject in any forum.

    >>Any information
    >>
    >>>on how to identify the cause is welcome.
    >>>
    >>>We currently use BEA 8.1 sp1 and JDK 1.4.1 for our web application.

    >>Hi, Your's is not a JDBC question... What I would recommend is to get
    >>a thread
    >>dump of the busy server to see what it's doing.
    >>Joe
    >>
    >>>TIA
    >>> Oscar

+ Reply to Thread