ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name - Weblogic

This is a discussion on ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name - Weblogic ; Hi, I am using Weblogic: 8.1.1 and on Win 2K. I have created a domain with just the adminstration server. Now, I am trying to add a JDBC Connection Pool using Oracle OCI Driver 8.1.7 thru the adminstration console. I ...

  1. ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

    Hi,

    I am using Weblogic: 8.1.1 and on Win 2K. I have created a domain with just the
    adminstration server. Now, I am trying to add a JDBC Connection Pool using Oracle
    OCI Driver 8.1.7 thru the adminstration console. I have provided a database name,
    user name and password for my db, but when I test my connection on the next page,
    I get the error "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name."

    tnsping on the command prompt for the database is returning OK.

    Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

    Thanks,
    Binil

  2. Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

    Binil Thomas wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Weblogic: 8.1.1 and on Win 2K. I have created a domain with just the
    > adminstration server. Now, I am trying to add a JDBC Connection Pool using Oracle
    > OCI Driver 8.1.7 thru the adminstration console. I have provided a database name,
    > user name and password for my db, but when I test my connection on the next page,
    > I get the error "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name."

    Is the environment variable ORACLE_HOME set for the weblogic process?
    What is the tnsnames.ora entry for the DBMS you want, and then show us
    the URL and properties you define for the pool. Have you tried the utils.dbping
    test to see how we will connect to the DBMS from java?
    Lastly, I recommend using the oracle thin driver instead of the OCI-based one.
    Joe

    > tnsping on the command prompt for the database is returning OK.
    >
    > Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Binil

  3. Resolved (was Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name)

    "Binil Thomas" wrote:
    Hi all,

    >I am using Weblogic: 8.1.1 and on Win 2K. I have created a domain with
    >just the
    >adminstration server. Now, I am trying to add a JDBC Connection Pool
    >using Oracle
    >OCI Driver 8.1.7 thru the adminstration console. I have provided a database
    >name,
    >user name and password for my db, but when I test my connection on the
    >I get the error "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name."
    >
    >tnsping on the command prompt for the database is returning OK.
    >
    >Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

    I got it working. It was a CLASSPATH issue. classes12.zip was not on the CLASSPATH.
    I had added it to the command prompt before running to WebLogic startup scripts,
    but they were being ignored. When I edited the startup scripts to add the driver
    to the CLASSPATH, it is working fine.

    Thanks,
    Binil

  4. Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

    Here is a better explanation on how to solve the issue.

    ORA-12154 TNS Could Not Resolve Service Name

+ Reply to Thread