trans-attribute Supports causing poor performance?? - Weblogic

This is a discussion on trans-attribute Supports causing poor performance?? - Weblogic ; Hi there, We recently walked through all of our ejb's and changed the transaction types. We used to default to Required, but changed to use the Supports default. We then changed the entities to use Mandatory for all setters, creates, ...

  1. trans-attribute Supports causing poor performance??

    Hi there,

    We recently walked through all of our ejb's and changed the transaction
    types. We used to default to Required, but changed to use the Supports
    default. We then changed the entities to use Mandatory for all setters,
    creates, and removes. And then of course visited all session methods to set
    the appropriate transaction type for each method. On any of our pages where
    there is a great deal of entity use, the performance was severely impacted.
    A page that went from ~4-5 seconds (loads lots of data) was now taking
    ~30-32 seconds. As a test, I blindly replaced Supports with Required in
    ejb-jar.xml and the page went right back down to 4-5 seconds.

    Is there any other setting that must be used in combination with the
    transaction attribute? I couldn't find anything stating this in the docs.
    It seems kind of backwards to me. You think it would take longer to create
    the transaction than to just check to see if you need to create one. We're
    making our way through these older areas of our application to replace heavy
    entity usage with jdbc, but still, this is a huge drop in performance from
    just changing a single attribute!

    We're using WLS 8.1 SP2 with Oracle 8.1.7, both on Solaris 8. Other
    attributes of interest maybe, we set delay-updates-until-end-of-tx to True
    and use an isolation-level of transaction_read_commited.

    Any ideas out there??

    Thanks!
    Lynn

  2. Re: trans-attribute Supports causing poor performance??

    "Lynn Taylor" wrote in message news:409f99b4@newsgroups.bea.com...
    > We recently walked through all of our ejb's and changed the transaction
    > types. We used to default to Required, but changed to use the Supports
    > default. We then changed the entities to use Mandatory for all setters,
    > creates, and removes. And then of course visited all session methods to set
    > the appropriate transaction type for each method. On any of our pages where
    > there is a great deal of entity use, the performance was severely impacted.
    > A page that went from ~4-5 seconds (loads lots of data) was now taking
    > ~30-32 seconds. As a test, I blindly replaced Supports with Required in
    > ejb-jar.xml and the page went right back down to 4-5 seconds.
    >
    > We're using WLS 8.1 SP2 with Oracle 8.1.7, both on Solaris 8. Other
    > attributes of interest maybe, we set delay-updates-until-end-of-tx to True
    > and use an isolation-level of transaction_read_commited.
    >
    > Any ideas out there??

    Well, as your description shows, those changes apparently didn't work well.

    I'd switch back the ones you had had before.

    Regards,

    Slava Imeshev

+ Reply to Thread