Exception message changed - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Exception message changed - Weblogic ; We noticed that when an EJB in WL7 throws an exception with a message, the client sees a differente message, enriched with the server side exception trace. So if you client uses the message to get information from the server, ...

  1. Exception message changed

    We noticed that when an EJB in WL7 throws an exception
    with a message, the client sees a differente message,
    enriched with the server side exception trace. So if you
    client uses the message to get information from the
    server, this message is useless. This behaviour was not
    present in WL5.1.
    Is there any way to make WL7 behave like WL5.1, not
    adding any information to the exception message?
    Thanks for you attention

  2. Re: Exception message changed

    Hi,

    There is no 'backwards compatibility' setting for the exceptions.
    Is this causing you a problem ?

    -thorick

  3. Re: Exception message changed

    >There is no 'backwards compatibility' setting for the exceptions.
    >Is this causing you a problem ?

    yes, because we use programmaticaly the exception messages. If the messages are
    different we can' use them and we have to re-implement all the exception to deal
    a new field.
    Is there any other solution (maybe a configuration solution)?

  4. Re: Exception message changed

    Marco Uniti wrote:
    >>There is no 'backwards compatibility' setting for the exceptions.
    >>Is this causing you a problem ?

    > yes, because we use programmaticaly the exception messages. If the messages are
    > different we can' use them and we have to re-implement all the exception to deal
    > a new field.
    > Is there any other solution (maybe a configuration solution)?

    There is a configuration property in config.xml
    'InstrumentStackTraceEnabled' (you can also find in the Weblogic console
    but I don't remember exactly where) that allows you to do this:

    InstrumentStackTraceEnabled="false"
    ListenPort="7001"
    ListenPortEnabled="true"
    Name="myserver"
    NativeIOEnabled="true"
    ServerVersion="8.1.2.0"
    StdoutSeverityLevel="16"

    By default it is true (I've always wondered why since this could
    potentially cause issues and we've always set it to 'false') so it's not
    persisted with its default value.

    HTH,

    --dejan

  5. Re: Exception message changed

    Hello All,

    We have the same problem. Our code worked fine on WLS 6.1 but now we
    migrated to WLS 7.0 our exception messages/stacktraces are lost. We
    wrap exceptions in to a geneneric exception type in order to "chain
    exceptions". Now the wrapped exceptions are lost.

    We found out that the wrapping/unwrapping of the exceptions go ok when
    the called EJB's and exceptions are part of the same package.

    Anyone on this???

    thanks,
    Maarten

+ Reply to Thread