weblogic 5.1 - Unrelated exceptions in application - Weblogic

This is a discussion on weblogic 5.1 - Unrelated exceptions in application - Weblogic ; I have been trying to figure this problem for about an hour now. Apparently it is only happening on heavy load, cannot reproduce it in our QA environment For last 2 weeks webloigc 5.1 sp9 on Sun Jdk 1.3, Solaris ...

  1. weblogic 5.1 - Unrelated exceptions in application

    I have been trying to figure this problem for about an hour now. Apparently
    it is only happening on heavy load, cannot reproduce it in our QA
    environment

    For last 2 weeks webloigc 5.1 sp9 on Sun Jdk 1.3, Solaris 5.8 (our live
    platform) starts acting strange after being run for a couple of hours.
    Interestingly no one has made changes to it, and the problem does not look
    related to a software patch in anycase, might even be a JVM bug.

    Basically weblogic starts throwing Exceptions all over the code, mostly they
    are null pointer exceptions except where we check for a null and throw an
    alternate exception. Its almost as if the reference table in the JVM decides
    that everything is null.

    Following is a bit of the log just before it crash, if anyone has hints as
    to what might be going on or has had similar problems please let me know.
    Thanks

    part of Log follows:
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at jsp_servlet._prod50._comn.__login._jspService(__lo gin.java:277)
    at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspBase.service(JspBase.java: 27)
    at
    weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeSe rvlet(ServletStubImpl.java
    :120)
    at
    weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invok eServlet(ServletContextImp
    l.java:922)
    at
    weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invok eServlet(ServletContextImp
    l.java:886)
    at
    weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextManager.in vokeServlet(ServletContext
    Manager.java:269)
    at
    weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.invokeServlet(Mu xableSocketHTTP.java:380)
    at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.execute(MuxableS ocketHTTP.java:268)
    at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.ja va:129)
[...]
    java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Native Method)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStre am.java:83)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkUtils.writeChunks(C hunkUtils.java:114)
    at
    weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletOutputStreamImpl. flush(ServletOutputStreamI
    mpl.java:125)
    at
    weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletOutputStreamImpl. flushWithCheck(ServletOutp
    utStreamImpl.java:343)
    at
    weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletOutputStreamImpl. checkForFlush(ServletOutpu
    tStreamImpl.java:484)
    at
    weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletOutputStreamImpl. print(ServletOutputStreamI
    mpl.java:197)
    at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspWriterImpl.print(JspWriter Impl.java:140)
    at jsp_servlet._prod50._loca.__loca._jspService(__loc a.java:412)
[...]
    at jsp_servlet._prod50._comn.__login._jspService(__lo gin.java:371)
[...]
    Login of user with roleid:3000, prod_USER
    java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Native Method)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStre am.java:83)
    at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkUtils.writeChunks(C hunkUtils.java:114)
    at
    weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletOutputStreamImpl. flush(ServletOutputStreamI
    mpl.java:125)
    at
    weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletOutputStreamImpl. checkForFlush(ServletOutpu
    tStreamImpl.java:488)
    at
    weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletOutputStreamImpl. print(ServletOutputStreamI
    mpl.java:197)
    at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspWriterImpl.print(JspWriter Impl.java:140)
    at jsp_servlet._prod50._comn.__myprofile._jspService( __myprofile.java:422)
[...]
    Mon Feb 09 15:07:51 EST 2004: /prod/jars/reuse/ejb_RUNavigationS.jar> Exception in non-transactional EJB
    invoke:
    weblogic.ejb.extensions.LockTimedOutException: Lock for primaryKey:121_9:1
    timed out after 300000 ms.
    at
    weblogic.ejb.internal.LockManagerImpl.waitForLock( LockManagerImpl.java:53)
    at weblogic.ejb.internal.LockManagerImpl.lock(LockMan agerImpl.java:146)
    at weblogic.ejb.internal.LockManagerImpl.lock(LockMan agerImpl.java:81)
    at weblogic.ejb.internal.StatefulEJBCache.bind(Statef ulEJBCache.java:456)
    at
    weblogic.ejb.internal.StatefulEJBObject.getContext ForInvoke(StatefulEJBObjec
    t.java:162)
    at weblogic.ejb.internal.BaseEJBObject.preInvoke(Base EJBObject.java:476)
    at
    com.prod.ejb.domain.runavigation.impl.RUNavigation DBeanEOImpl.getNavigation(
    RUNavigationDBeanEOImpl.java:149)
    at
    com.prod.ejb.service.runavigation.impl.RUNavigatio nSBean.getNavigation(RUNav
    igationSBean.java:123)
    at
    com.prod.ejb.service.runavigation.impl.RUNavigatio nSBeanEOImpl.getNavigation
    (RUNavigationSBeanEOImpl.java:187)
    at
    com.prod.ejb.service.runavigation.impl.RUNavigatio nSBeanEOImpl_ServiceStub.g
    etNavigation(RUNavigationSBeanEOImpl_ServiceStub.j ava:157)
    at com.prod.applications.reuse.ui.Nav.populateCache(N av.java:398)
    at com.prod.applications.reuse.ui.Nav.(Nav.java:321)
    at com.prod.applications.reuse.ui.Nav.(Nav.java:285)
    at com.prod.applications.site.ui.SiteUI.(SiteUI.java:26)
    at jsp_servlet._prod50._mktp.__site._jspService(__sit e.java:191)
[...]

    com.prod.applications.reuse.ui.UIException: Exception on Client Id(121)
    at com.prod.applications.reuse.ui.Nav.populateCache(N av.java:412)
[...]
    calling _checkReloadConfig at iteration 2030
    Terminated

  2. Re: weblogic 5.1 - Unrelated exceptions in application

    Looks like a NullPointerException in your jsp page. It's very hard for
    us to tell you anything more without more information.

    -- Rob

    Haider Kazmi wrote:
> [...]
    > weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeSe rvlet(ServletStubImpl.java
    > :120)
    > at
    > weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invok eServlet(ServletContextImp
    > l.java:922)
    > at
    > weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextImpl.invok eServlet(ServletContextImp
    > l.java:886)
    > at
    > weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletContextManager.in vokeServlet(ServletContext
    > Manager.java:269)
    > at
    > weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.invokeServlet(Mu xableSocketHTTP.java:380)
    > at weblogic.socket.MuxableSocketHTTP.execute(MuxableS ocketHTTP.java:268)
    > at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.ja va:129)
    > calling _checkReloadConfig at iteration 2030

  3. Re: weblogic 5.1 - Unrelated exceptions in application

    It turns out that there was an OutOfMemoryException when this all starts. I
    had missed this as it was a single line Exception with no stack trace in a
    15MB log file

    We had our site load increase 5 folds in a week. All the problem starts with
    the OutOfMemoryException. Increasing the VM heap size to 1GB have fixed the
    issue.

    To me it looks as if the GC is removing valid references if there is a
    OutOfMemoryException, or maybe even something in WL51 that tries to recover
    from an out of memory state and decides to release referenced objects in its
    cache.

    Thanks Rob