Vendor Java API returns XML - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Vendor Java API returns XML - Weblogic ; A vendor supplies an API written in Java that produces an XML output of data from a database. I want to use a JDBC (ODBC) driver to connect to this API for the table structures and querying of the undelining ...

  1. Vendor Java API returns XML

    A vendor supplies an API written in Java that produces an XML output of data from
    a database. I want to use a JDBC (ODBC) driver to connect to this API for the
    table structures and querying of the undelining database in realtime.

    The current examples provide a GUI interface for this process, but I want to remove
    the GUI interface and make the API a general wrapper for business intelligence
    (Business Objects, Brio) and reporting tools (Crystal Reports, MS Access) to access
    via the JDBC/ODBC driver.

    Is the architecture to turn this API into a web service and have others connect
    to it via the JDBC driver and pass security, and select statement to it and return
    the XML strucuture for query creation? Then pass the query back to the web service
    for querying and return a XML data result set for report creation?

    I am using BEA's WebLogic Workshopas a development tool.

  2. Re: Vendor Java API returns XML

    I would suggest posting in the workshop newsgroup. I would imagine
    writing your service as a control and then wrapping it with a JWS to
    expose it as a web service, but it's hard to say without knowing a lot
    more details.

    -- Rob

    Ron wrote:
    > A vendor supplies an API written in Java that produces an XML output of data from
    > a database. I want to use a JDBC (ODBC) driver to connect to this API for the
    > table structures and querying of the undelining database in realtime.
    >
    > The current examples provide a GUI interface for this process, but I want to remove
    > the GUI interface and make the API a general wrapper for business intelligence
    > (Business Objects, Brio) and reporting tools (Crystal Reports, MS Access) to access
    > via the JDBC/ODBC driver.
    >
    > Is the architecture to turn this API into a web service and have others connect
    > to it via the JDBC driver and pass security, and select statement to it and return
    > the XML strucuture for query creation? Then pass the query back to the web service
    > for querying and return a XML data result set for report creation?
    >
    > I am using BEA's WebLogic Workshopas a development tool.

+ Reply to Thread