session management with ejb like Servlet Session - Weblogic

This is a discussion on session management with ejb like Servlet Session - Weblogic ; Hi, I'm newbie with EJB. We design a Swing Application, that connects to Weblogic over RMI/T3, lookups EJB over JNDI and calls there methods. This part works just fine. Now we need to implement logon/logoff and some art of session ...

  1. session management with ejb like Servlet Session

    Hi,

    I'm newbie with EJB. We design a Swing Application, that connects to
    Weblogic over RMI/T3, lookups EJB over JNDI and calls there methods.
    This part works just fine.

    Now we need to implement logon/logoff and some art of session management
    functionality. We need something like HTTP session in Web Container,
    where we have listeners and automatic time outs.

    Is there such a think with EJB Container?? Or do we have to implement
    it?? If implement, are there any paterns???

    thans for advise

    regards,
    Dmitri Ilyin

  2. Re: session management with ejb like Servlet Session

    Hi Dmitri,

    "dmitri" wrote in message news:400ab476$1@newsgroups.bea.com...
    > I'm newbie with EJB. We design a Swing Application, that connects to
    > Weblogic over RMI/T3, lookups EJB over JNDI and calls there methods.
    > This part works just fine.
    >
    > Now we need to implement logon/logoff and some art of session management
    > functionality. We need something like HTTP session in Web Container,
    > where we have listeners and automatic time outs.
    >
    > Is there such a think with EJB Container?? Or do we have to implement
    > it?? If implement, are there any paterns???

    If you look at n-tier architecture with a web front, you'll see that the web
    layer serves as a client for middle tier, the same way your fat Swing
    client does.

    So, a natural place for the "session management" in your case is the
    Swing client. I've placed "session management" in quotes because
    the way it's done by the applications with the web front is just
    a surrogate implementation of what's been handled by fat client's
    since the beginning. In other words, the fat client state *is* the
    session. I don't think is a special need for session management
    in case of a fat client.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Slava Imeshev

  3. Re: session management with ejb like Servlet Session

    Slava Imeshev wrote:

    > Hi Dmitri,
    >
    > "dmitri" wrote in message news:400ab476$1@newsgroups.bea.com...
    >
    >>I'm newbie with EJB. We design a Swing Application, that connects to
    >>Weblogic over RMI/T3, lookups EJB over JNDI and calls there methods.
    >>This part works just fine.
    >>
    >>Now we need to implement logon/logoff and some art of session management
    >>functionality. We need something like HTTP session in Web Container,
    >>where we have listeners and automatic time outs.
    >>
    >>Is there such a think with EJB Container?? Or do we have to implement
    >>it?? If implement, are there any paterns???

    > If you look at n-tier architecture with a web front, you'll see that the web
    > layer serves as a client for middle tier, the same way your fat Swing
    > client does.
    >
    > So, a natural place for the "session management" in your case is the
    > Swing client. I've placed "session management" in quotes because
    > the way it's done by the applications with the web front is just
    > a surrogate implementation of what's been handled by fat client's
    > since the beginning. In other words, the fat client state *is* the
    > session. I don't think is a special need for session management
    > in case of a fat client.

    Hello Slava,

    sure you are right, i have my session in my fat client.

    What i need is somethink like user traking on the server. Sometimes i
    nave to lock Objects, that will be edited by user, not to alow other
    user to edit the same object. The lock must be destroyed if the user
    done logout or session is times out. So i need to have user session on
    the server.
    The Servlet Session has listeners and timeout implemented. I need
    something like this, but not for saving all my client session variables.

    I hope it is clear what i meen.

    regards

    Dmitri

  4. Re: session management with ejb like Servlet Session

    Take a look at stateful session beans. There are kind of great for what you
    want to do...

    "dmitri" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm newbie with EJB. We design a Swing Application, that connects to
    > Weblogic over RMI/T3, lookups EJB over JNDI and calls there methods.
    > This part works just fine.
    >
    > Now we need to implement logon/logoff and some art of session management
    > functionality. We need something like HTTP session in Web Container,
    > where we have listeners and automatic time outs.
    >
    > Is there such a think with EJB Container?? Or do we have to implement
    > it?? If implement, are there any paterns???
    >
    > thans for advise
    >
    > regards,
    > Dmitri Ilyin

+ Reply to Thread