Managed Servers under a Cluster - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Managed Servers under a Cluster - Weblogic ; Hi I have deployed two managed server under a cluster in my machine. They both listen at two different ports i,e 8005 and 8007. But I feel that they should be listening at the same port or else they won't ...

  1. Managed Servers under a Cluster

    Hi

    I have deployed two managed server under a cluster in my machine. They both listen at two different ports i,e 8005 and 8007. But I feel that they should be listening at the same port or else they won't act as a Cluster. Am I right?

    Regards
    Vijay

  2. Re: Managed Servers under a Cluster

    If your concern is related to a webapp, then read this
    http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs81/faq...ng.html#250705

    Relevant part being "....Resonate, BigIP, Alteon, and LocalDirector. These products mask multiple DNS addresses as a single address...."

    If your concern is related lookup of EJBs, JMS Queues etc., then you can use comma-separated value of ip & port as provider url e.g. t3://ip-addr1ort-no1,ip-addr2ort-no2

    cheers!
    Dips

  3. Re: Managed Servers under a Cluster

    Vijay

    I have the following scenario in my production environment:

    Cluster1
    admin server listening on 7521
    node1 listening on 7521
    node2 listening on 7521
    node3 listening on 7501
    node4 listening on 7501

    Each of the above instances are on separate machines. The web tier uses
    Apache 2.039. Configuration file contains all 4 nodes listed separated
    by a comma. From all appearances it is a cluster. On the admin server if
    I list available managed servers I see nodes1 through node 4.

    However, if I connect to node1 or node2 via t3 and list the servers
    available servers I can only see node1 or node2.

    Conversely, if I connect to node3 or node4 via t3 and list the servers
    available I can only see node3 or node4. (via WLSHELL).

    It seems as if the pair on port 7521 do not recognize the pair on 7501
    or vice-versa. BUT - the documentation for 6.1 states:

    "Each Managed Server in a cluster must have a unique IP address and the
    same Listen Port number. A machine that hosts multiple clustered server
    instances must be multihomed to provide an IP address for each server
    instance." (http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs61/cluster/setup.html)
    or
    Which answers your question.

    My situation works but do you really want to chance it in a production
    environment? I can not even explain why mine works or what is the net
    affect on the running web-app, cluster, sessions, performance or the
    user experience in the application? But I will be changing it very shortly.

    Vijay Singh wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have deployed two managed server under a cluster in my machine. They both listen at two different ports i,e 8005 and 8007. But I feel that they should be listening at the same port or else they won't act as a Cluster. Am I right?
    >
    > Regards
    > Vijay

+ Reply to Thread