How to dedicate a cluster member for "batch" work - Weblogic

This is a discussion on How to dedicate a cluster member for "batch" work - Weblogic ; I have a cluster of nodes that comprise the 'EJB' tier of an enterprise application. They service requests from both "interactive" and "batch" clients. I would like to dedicate one of them for processing 'batch' jobs that get initiated by ...

  1. How to dedicate a cluster member for "batch" work

    I have a cluster of nodes that comprise the 'EJB' tier of an enterprise application.
    They service requests from both "interactive" and "batch" clients.

    I would like to dedicate one of them for processing 'batch' jobs that get initiated by
    JMS messages. I would therefore want this designated node to not be the target of
    EJB requests from remote clients [i.e remote clients should not be getting stubs
    to EJBHome or EJBRemote objects hosted on the node].

    Is this configuration achievable in a WebLogic 8.1 environment?

    Tried using a weighted load-balancing scheme with a weight of 1 for the "batch" node
    and 100 for the other nodes. Remote EJB requests continued to get "round-robin" balanced
    among the nodes. Looked like the weighting did not work.
    The RMI protocol used "t3" and not "iiop" and that should have worked but did not
    [according to the documentation weighted load-balancing is not supported with
    RMI/iiop protocol]

    I was told to consider achieving this capability through security policies.
    Given that the EJBs are being deployed to the "cluster" rather than to
    individual nodes, it is not clear to me that one can have a separate security policy
    for the EJBs deployed to the "batch" node.

  2. Re: How to dedicate a cluster member for "batch" work

    Ashok -
    I have a similar requirement. Did you discover any information about
    this? Any info you can provide would be great.

    Thanks!

    Ashok Kumar wrote:
    > I have a cluster of nodes that comprise the 'EJB' tier of an enterprise application.
    > They service requests from both "interactive" and "batch" clients.
    >
    > I would like to dedicate one of them for processing 'batch' jobs that get initiated by
    > JMS messages. I would therefore want this designated node to not be the target of
    > EJB requests from remote clients [i.e remote clients should not be getting stubs
    > to EJBHome or EJBRemote objects hosted on the node].
    >
    > Is this configuration achievable in a WebLogic 8.1 environment?
    >
    > Tried using a weighted load-balancing scheme with a weight of 1 for the "batch" node
    > and 100 for the other nodes. Remote EJB requests continued to get "round-robin" balanced
    > among the nodes. Looked like the weighting did not work.
    > The RMI protocol used "t3" and not "iiop" and that should have worked but did not
    > [according to the documentation weighted load-balancing is not supported with
    > RMI/iiop protocol]
    >
    > I was told to consider achieving this capability through security policies.
    > Given that the EJBs are being deployed to the "cluster" rather than to
    > individual nodes, it is not clear to me that one can have a separate security policy
    > for the EJBs deployed to the "batch" node.

+ Reply to Thread