Http Session Replication in WL8.1 - Is This What It Does ? - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Http Session Replication in WL8.1 - Is This What It Does ? - Weblogic ; Is someone able to confirm my understanding of in-memory http session replication in WL8.1 : * Session replication only occurs when the session data changes i.e. when the user clicks on the page. * Session replication doesn't occur at other ...

  1. Http Session Replication in WL8.1 - Is This What It Does ?

    Is someone able to confirm my understanding of in-memory http session
    replication in WL8.1 :

    * Session replication only occurs when the session data changes i.e.
    when the user clicks on the page.

    * Session replication doesn't occur at other times - specifically,
    session data isn't passed on by a server shutting down or requested by
    a server starting up

    * The only record of which nodes hold data for a particular session
    are held on the client-side ( typically in the cookie ). There's no
    location information held on the server-side and WebLogic is therefore
    reliant on the cookie to find session data. Since the cookie contents
    can't be influenced between http requests, there's no value ( under
    the current scheme ) in copying session data around
    "behind-the-scenes".

    * The consequence of this is that if the particular nodes marked as
    primary/secondary are restarted between requests, that session would
    be lost - even if there were many other nodes in the cluster which
    were up and running the whole time.

    I presume this approach is to avoid either :

    * having a central session-locator on the server-side ( single
    point-of-failure/performance issue )

    or

    * having the performance/effort of asking which of all the nodes in
    the cluster now has the latest version of the session data

  2. Re: Http Session Replication in WL8.1 - Is This What It Does ?

    Apologies - I didn't notice there was a more specific newsgroup. I've
    now re-posted my message on
    weblogic.developer.interest.clustering.in-memory-replication.

+ Reply to Thread