admin server fault tolerance - Weblogic

This is a discussion on admin server fault tolerance - Weblogic ; What are the admin server configuration options for fault tolerance? 1. Can the admin server be clustered so that if one machinge goes down, the admin server is available on the other? 2. Can a managed server become an admin ...

  1. admin server fault tolerance

    What are the admin server configuration options for fault tolerance?
    1. Can the admin server be clustered so that if one machinge goes down, the admin server is available on the other?
    2. Can a managed server become an admin server?
    3. The manual indicates that the only option is to manually copy config files to another server installation. Is this true? Is there any way to have automatic replication of the config and application files so that another server installation can become the admin server without resorting to backups?
    Thanks,
    Jim

  2. Re: admin server fault tolerance

    "Jim Hunsinger" wrote in message
    > What are the admin server configuration options for fault tolerance?
    > 1. Can the admin server be clustered so that if one machinge goes down,

    the admin server is available on the other?
    > 2. Can a managed server become an admin server?
    > 3. The manual indicates that the only option is to manually copy config

    files to another server installation. Is this true? Is there any way to
    have automatic replication of the config and application files so that
    another server installation can become the admin server without resorting to
    backups?
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

  3. Re: admin server fault tolerance

    We had the same questions for WLS 8.1 SP1-Here's what we found out:
    1. Admin server cannot be clustered
    2. Admin server and managed server can reside on same machine but managed
    server cannot becom admin server
    3. Your statement number 3 is correct for the admin server.
    4. Replication is only relevant to managed servers.

    What we did (Our environment is clustered)
    1. We defined admin consoles on the clustered managed servers(server1 and
    server2) but only started one of the admin consoles(on server1) since a
    cluster can only have one admin console
    2. We copy the files/applications(server1) to the standby admin
    console(server2) daily using a robocopy script.
    3. If we lose server1 we can edit the config.xml for the admin directory on
    server2 and bring it up. However, you will have to also edit the config.xml
    on the managed servers as well and restart if you want them to communicate
    with the new admin server(server2)

    Hope this helps,
    Susan

    "Jim Hunsinger" wrote in message
    > What are the admin server configuration options for fault tolerance?
    > 1. Can the admin server be clustered so that if one machinge goes down,

    the admin server is available on the other?
    > 2. Can a managed server become an admin server?
    > 3. The manual indicates that the only option is to manually copy config

    files to another server installation. Is this true? Is there any way to
    have automatic replication of the config and application files so that
    another server installation can become the admin server without resorting to
    backups?
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

  4. Re: admin server fault tolerance

    "Jim Hunsinger" wrote in message
    > What are the admin server configuration options for fault tolerance?
    > 1. Can the admin server be clustered so that if one machinge goes down,

    the admin server is available on the other?

    No the admin server can not be added to the cluster. About the only thing
    you could do to provide redundency is harware clustering with the aditional
    admin server clones in a quiescent state

    > 2. Can a managed server become an admin server?

    Managed servers _CAN NOT_ become admin servers nor take on the role of the
    admin server at any time

    > 3. The manual indicates that the only option is to manually copy config

    files to another server installation. Is this true? Is there any way to
    have automatic replication of the config and application files so that
    another server installation can become the admin server without resorting to
    backups?

    You can start the managed servers in "Managed Server Independance" mode
    with Managed Server Independance replication enabled. If the managed server
    can not contact the admin server during it's normal boot sequence than it
    will resort to loading from the local cached copies of config.xml,
    SerializedSystemIni.dat, security realm and boot.properties. Of course you
    will want to make sure the replication is occuring frequently enough to
    avoid stale data.

    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    ~RU