Cluster Address Question - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Cluster Address Question - Weblogic ; Hi, I have an administration server and a managed server running on machine A. There is another managed server running on machine B. I have created a cluster consisting of Managed Servers running on machines A and B. BEA suggests ...

  1. Cluster Address Question

    Hi,

    I have an administration server and a managed server running on machine A.
    There is another managed server running on machine B. I have created a cluster
    consisting of Managed Servers running on machines A and B. BEA suggests that
    we use a DNS name mapping the 2 managed servers for the cluster address. But the
    BEA documentation also states that we should not use the Administration Server's
    IP address in the cluster wide DNS name! (In my case, the ports differ but the
    IP address for Admin server and managed server are the same)

    Is this an issue? If it is how do I get around this??

    Thanks in Advance
    Amit

  2. Re: Cluster Address Question

    Instead of using a DNS name to represent the physical servers, use an IP address
    list instead, like this....

    192.0.0.1:7001,192.0.0.1:7001

    Raffi

    "Amit Lavate" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    > I have an administration server and a managed server running on machine
    >A.
    >There is another managed server running on machine B. I have created
    >a cluster
    >consisting of Managed Servers running on machines A and B. BEA suggests
    >that
    >we use a DNS name mapping the 2 managed servers for the cluster address.
    >But the
    >BEA documentation also states that we should not use the Administration
    >Server's
    >IP address in the cluster wide DNS name! (In my case, the ports differ
    >but the
    >IP address for Admin server and managed server are the same)
    >
    >Is this an issue? If it is how do I get around this??
    >
    >Thanks in Advance
    >Amit

  3. Re: Cluster Address Question

    Is this the only way around this? Is there some change for WLS 7.0.2 to enable
    use of cluster DNS name and running admin server on one of the ips that is included
    in the cluster DNS name?

    It does not make sense to not being able to run admin server on the same ip but
    at a different port. Does EBA have specific reason for this restriction?

    Thanks
    Puneet

    "Raffi Basmajian" wrote:

    >Instead of using a DNS name to represent the physical servers, use an
    >IP address
    >list instead, like this....
    >
    >192.0.0.1:7001,192.0.0.1:7001
    >
    >Raffi
    >
    >"Amit Lavate" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >> I have an administration server and a managed server running on machine
    >>A.
    >>There is another managed server running on machine B. I have created
    >>a cluster
    >>consisting of Managed Servers running on machines A and B. BEA suggests
    >>that
    >>we use a DNS name mapping the 2 managed servers for the cluster address.
    >>But the
    >>BEA documentation also states that we should not use the Administration
    >>Server's
    >>IP address in the cluster wide DNS name! (In my case, the ports differ
    >>but the
    >>IP address for Admin server and managed server are the same)
    >>
    >>Is this an issue? If it is how do I get around this??
    >>
    >>Thanks in Advance
    >>Amit

  4. Re: Cluster Address Question

    There is no harm in putting the admin server ip in the dns name as long as you
    have port number (with seperator). If for some reason you don't want to put the
    ip for admin server have your network admin create an alias (another ip address)
    for the machine and have managed server listen on this.

    "puneet" wrote:

    >Is this the only way around this? Is there some change for WLS 7.0.2
    >to enable
    >use of cluster DNS name and running admin server on one of the ips that
    >is included
    >in the cluster DNS name?
    >
    >It does not make sense to not being able to run admin server on the same
    >ip but
    >at a different port. Does EBA have specific reason for this restriction?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Puneet
    >
    >"Raffi Basmajian" wrote:
    >>
    >>Instead of using a DNS name to represent the physical servers, use an
    >>IP address
    >>list instead, like this....
    >>
    >>192.0.0.1:7001,192.0.0.1:7001
    >>
    >>Raffi
    >>
    >>"Amit Lavate" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have an administration server and a managed server running on

    >machine
    >>>A.
    >>>There is another managed server running on machine B. I have created
    >>>a cluster
    >>>consisting of Managed Servers running on machines A and B. BEA suggests
    >>>that
    >>>we use a DNS name mapping the 2 managed servers for the cluster address.
    >>>But the
    >>>BEA documentation also states that we should not use the Administration
    >>>Server's
    >>>IP address in the cluster wide DNS name! (In my case, the ports differ
    >>>but the
    >>>IP address for Admin server and managed server are the same)
    >>>
    >>>Is this an issue? If it is how do I get around this??
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in Advance
    >>>Amit

+ Reply to Thread