Failing to join cluster: No such device. - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Failing to join cluster: No such device. - Weblogic ; Hello, I'm wondering if anybody can give me some ideas as to what might be wrong here. We have a couple of boxes runing Linux and WebLogic 8.1 (sp1) configured in a cluster. We've been running this configuration for quite ...

  1. Failing to join cluster: No such device.

    Hello, I'm wondering if anybody can give me some ideas as to what might be wrong
    here. We have a couple of boxes runing Linux and WebLogic 8.1 (sp1) configured
    in a cluster. We've been running this configuration for quite some time, but
    recently had a power outage, and one of the boxes in the cluster is refusing to
    come up now. The logs show the follwoing exception:

    ####
    <> <> MyCluster at address 239.0.0.1 due to: java.net.SocketException: No such device.
    java.net.SocketException: No such device
    at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(Native Method)
    at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(PlainDatagra mSocketImpl.java:134)
    at java.net.MulticastSocket.joinGroup(MulticastSocket .java:274)
    at
    weblogic.cluster.FragmentSocket.initializeMulticas tSocket(FragmentSocket.java:92)
    at weblogic.cluster.FragmentSocket.start(FragmentSock et.java:109)
    at weblogic.cluster.MulticastManager.startListening(M ulticastManager.java:164)
    at
    weblogic.cluster.ClusterCommunicationService.initi alize(ClusterCommunicationService.java:52)
    at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.initializeHere(T3Srvr.java :922)
    at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.initialize(T3Srvr.java:664 )
    at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.run(T3Srvr.java:342)
    at weblogic.Server.main(Server.java:32)

    ####
    <> <>
    Exception:weblogic.server.ServerLifecycleException : Failed to listen on
    multicast address
    weblogic.server.ServerLifecycleException: Failed to listen on multicast address
    at
    weblogic.cluster.ClusterCommunicationService.initi alize(ClusterCommunicationService.java:57)
    at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.initializeHere(T3Srvr.java :922)
    at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.initialize(T3Srvr.java:664 )
    at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.run(T3Srvr.java:342)
    at weblogic.Server.main(Server.java:32)
    Caused by: java.net.SocketException: No such device
    at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(Native Method)
    at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(PlainDatagra mSocketImpl.java:134)
    at java.net.MulticastSocket.joinGroup(MulticastSocket .java:274)
    at
    weblogic.cluster.FragmentSocket.initializeMulticas tSocket(FragmentSocket.java:92)
    at weblogic.cluster.FragmentSocket.start(FragmentSock et.java:109)
    at weblogic.cluster.MulticastManager.startListening(M ulticastManager.java:164)
    at
    weblogic.cluster.ClusterCommunicationService.initi alize(ClusterCommunicationService.java:52)
    ... 4 more

    ####
    <> <>
    Failed to listen on multicast addressNo such device>

    Has anybody ran into this? Any ideas what might be wrong?

    Thanks,
    Jeff

  2. Re: Failing to join cluster: No such device.

    Thanks for the help. I think it got us looking in the right direction. It does
    seem there was a problem with our routing table. It is working now.

    Sam Pullara wrote:

    > I found someone else with this generic multicast problem, here is the
    > suggested solution:
    >
    > http://www.mail-archive.com/java-lin.../msg09452.html
    >
    > Sam
    >

    > Jeff Poetker wrote:
    >
    >> Hello, I'm wondering if anybody can give me some ideas as to what
    >> might be wrong here. We have a couple of boxes runing Linux and
    >> WebLogic 8.1 (sp1) configured in a cluster. We've been running this
    >> configuration for quite some time, but recently had a power outage,
    >> and one of the boxes in the cluster is refusing to come up now. The
    >> logs show the follwoing exception:
    >>
    >> ####

    <> <>
    >> java.net.SocketException: No such device
    >> at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(Native Method)
    >> at
    >> java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(PlainDatagra mSocketImpl.java:134)
    >> at java.net.MulticastSocket.joinGroup(MulticastSocket .java:274)
    >> at
    >> weblogic.cluster.FragmentSocket.initializeMulticas tSocket(FragmentSocket.java:92)
    >>
    >> at weblogic.cluster.FragmentSocket.start(FragmentSock et.java:109)
    >> at
    >> weblogic.cluster.MulticastManager.startListening(M ulticastManager.java:164)
    >>
    >> at
    >> weblogic.cluster.ClusterCommunicationService.initi alize(ClusterCommunicationService.java:52)
    >>
    >> at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.initializeHere(T3Srvr.java :922)
    >> at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.initialize(T3Srvr.java:664 )
    >> at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.run(T3Srvr.java:342)
    >> at weblogic.Server.main(Server.java:32)
    >> >

    >> ####

    <> <>
    >> on multicast address
    >> weblogic.server.ServerLifecycleException: Failed to listen on
    >> multicast address
    >> at
    >> weblogic.cluster.ClusterCommunicationService.initi alize(ClusterCommunicationService.java:57)
    >>
    >> at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.initializeHere(T3Srvr.java :922)
    >> at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.initialize(T3Srvr.java:664 )
    >> at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.run(T3Srvr.java:342)
    >> at weblogic.Server.main(Server.java:32)
    >> Caused by: java.net.SocketException: No such device
    >> at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(Native Method)
    >> at
    >> java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.join(PlainDatagra mSocketImpl.java:134)
    >> at java.net.MulticastSocket.joinGroup(MulticastSocket .java:274)
    >> at
    >> weblogic.cluster.FragmentSocket.initializeMulticas tSocket(FragmentSocket.java:92)
    >>
    >> at weblogic.cluster.FragmentSocket.start(FragmentSock et.java:109)
    >> at
    >> weblogic.cluster.MulticastManager.startListening(M ulticastManager.java:164)
    >>
    >> at
    >> weblogic.cluster.ClusterCommunicationService.initi alize(ClusterCommunicationService.java:52)
    >>
    >> ... 4 more
    >> >

    >> ####

    <> <>
    >> multicast addressNo such device>
    >>
    >> Has anybody ran into this? Any ideas what might be wrong?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jeff

+ Reply to Thread