Maximum number of nodes in a Weblogic cluster on RedHat Linux? - Weblogic

This is a discussion on Maximum number of nodes in a Weblogic cluster on RedHat Linux? - Weblogic ; Is there a limitation of the number of nodes in a weblogic cluster running under RedHat Linux? Can I start with 5 nodes and in a year scale up to 500 or 5000 nodes? Thanks! Ralf....

  1. Maximum number of nodes in a Weblogic cluster on RedHat Linux?

    Is there a limitation of the number of nodes in a weblogic cluster
    running under RedHat Linux?

    Can I start with 5 nodes and in a year scale up to 500 or 5000 nodes?

    Thanks!
    Ralf.

  2. Re: Maximum number of nodes in a Weblogic cluster on RedHat Linux?

    Ralf,

    > Is there a limitation of the number of nodes in a weblogic cluster
    > running under RedHat Linux?

    A realistic limit, of course.

    > Can I start with 5 nodes and in a year scale up to 500 or 5000 nodes?

    If your app is completely stateless, then it can scale to 40 maybe 80
    servers.

    The problem is that stateless apps typically manage state that sits behind
    them, and there's basically no database in the world that can handle the
    load that 40 servers can put on it. Depending on the app, you can easily
    saturate 4 database CPUs per 1 app server CPU, but usually the factor is
    closer to 1:1, and with agressive caching in the app tier even less.

    Things like stateful session bean replication and HTTP session replication
    in a cluster ... well, YMMV ... but I would hypothesize that it won't scale
    up anywhere close to 40 servers under load.

    Peace,

    Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    http://www.tangosol.com/coherence.jsp
    Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Replicated Cache for Weblogic

    "Ralf Reddin" wrote in message
    news:ddf53140.0307240524.2a8b432a@posting.google.c om...

  3. Re: Maximum number of nodes in a Weblogic cluster on RedHat Linux?

    Ralf,

    > Does this mean, that a stateful application don't scale that much?

    Stateful applications are typically *harder* to scale. They *can* scale
    well, but it takes more work.

    Peace,

    Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    http://www.tangosol.com/coherence.jsp
    Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Replicated Cache for Weblogic

    "Ralf Reddin" wrote in message
    news:ddf53140.0307250156.521c91fa@posting.google.c om...

  4. Re: Maximum number of nodes in a Weblogic cluster on RedHat Linux?

    Hi Ralf,

    BEA Systems routinely performs a variety of tests of very large clusters of
    WebLogic Server for performance, longevity and stress testing. However,
    other factors limit the size of WebLogic clusters, notably the database
    server. Cameron correctly pointed this out previously in this thread.

    For example, in the latest SPEC performance numbers for WebLogic Server
    submitted by HP (www.spec.org), it was the database that limited the
    performance of the cluster rather than the application server itself.

    WebLogic Server 8.1 includes several underlying features to further reduce
    the network bandwidth required for replication of state and JNDI tree
    synchronization, leading to a very high level of scalability and support for
    very large clusters.

    Regards,
    Michael Bamford
    Product Manager
    WebLogic Server

    "Ralf Reddin" wrote in message
    news:ddf53140.0307240524.2a8b432a@posting.google.c om...
    > Is there a limitation of the number of nodes in a weblogic cluster
    > running under RedHat Linux?
    >
    > Can I start with 5 nodes and in a year scale up to 500 or 5000 nodes?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Ralf.

+ Reply to Thread