setting up a cluster on a single machine - Weblogic

This is a discussion on setting up a cluster on a single machine - Weblogic ; Hi, we are going to try and setup a weblogic cluster environment on a single server. The server is a SUn v880 Solaris box with 4 CPU's @ 900mhz each. The box has 8GB of memory. We plan on having ...

  1. setting up a cluster on a single machine

    Hi,

    we are going to try and setup a weblogic cluster environment on a single server.
    The server is a SUn v880 Solaris box with 4 CPU's @ 900mhz each. The box has
    8GB of memory. We plan on having 2 weblogic instances and an admin server on
    this box in a clustered configuration, based on the BEA guidelines of 1 weblogic
    instance per 2 CPU's.

    two questions:
    1. would it be better to have the admin server on the same box or a different
    box?
    2. what is different about setting up a cluster on a single machine versus multiple
    machines? how is the setup different..anything special I have to do? (are there
    any BEA docs that talk about this?)
    3. Will Ihave to somehow bind each weblogic instance to only two CPU's or will
    that be handled automatically?

    Thanks in advance!
    John

  2. Re: setting up a cluster on a single machine

    Is the machine multi-homed?

    See answers below...

    "jcatlos" wrote in message

    > FYI...we are using weblogic 6.1 SP4.
    >

    > "jcatlos" wrote:
    > >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >we are going to try and setup a weblogic cluster environment on a single
    > >server.
    > > The server is a SUn v880 Solaris box with 4 CPU's @ 900mhz each. The
    > >box has
    > >8GB of memory. We plan on having 2 weblogic instances and an admin

    server
    > >on
    > >this box in a clustered configuration, based on the BEA guidelines of
    > >1 weblogic
    > >instance per 2 CPU's.
    > >
    > >two questions:
    > >1. would it be better to have the admin server on the same box or a
    > >different
    > >box?

    Different.

    > >2. what is different about setting up a cluster on a single machine
    > >versus multiple
    > >machines? how is the setup different..anything special I have to do?
    > > (are there
    > >any BEA docs that talk about this?)

    It is pretty much the same.

    > >3. Will Ihave to somehow bind each weblogic instance to only two CPU's
    > >or will
    > >that be handled automatically?
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance!
    > >John

  3. Re: setting up a cluster on a single machine

    repeast of question # 3:
    3. Will Ihave to somehow bind each weblogic instance to only two CPU's or will
    that be handled automatically?

    I assume we will be setting up virtual IP's on this one box..one for each of the
    app server instances.....but will weblogic just naturally use all four cpu's then,
    or do we have to bind each weblogic app server instance to 2 cpu's each?

    thanks.

    "Lenny" wrote:
    >Is the machine multi-homed?
    >
    >See answers below...
    >

    >"jcatlos" wrote in message
    >>
    >> FYI...we are using weblogic 6.1 SP4.
    >>

    >> "jcatlos" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >we are going to try and setup a weblogic cluster environment on a

    >single
    >> >server.
    >> > The server is a SUn v880 Solaris box with 4 CPU's @ 900mhz each.

    > The
    >> >box has
    >> >8GB of memory. We plan on having 2 weblogic instances and an admin

    >server
    >> >on
    >> >this box in a clustered configuration, based on the BEA guidelines

    >of
    >> >1 weblogic
    >> >instance per 2 CPU's.
    >> >
    >> >two questions:
    >> >1. would it be better to have the admin server on the same box or

    >> >different
    >> >box?

    >Different.
    >
    >> >2. what is different about setting up a cluster on a single machine
    >> >versus multiple
    >> >machines? how is the setup different..anything special I have to do?
    >> > (are there
    >> >any BEA docs that talk about this?)

    >It is pretty much the same.
    >
    >> >3. Will Ihave to somehow bind each weblogic instance to only two

    >CPU's
    >> >or will
    >> >that be handled automatically?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks in advance!
    >> >John

  4. Re: setting up a cluster on a single machine

    "jcatlos" wrote:
    > repeast of question # 3:
    > 3. Will I have to somehow bind each weblogic instance to only two CPU's
    > or will that be handled automatically?

    Handled automatically, via Solaris scheduler/dispatcher.

    "jcatlos" wrote:
    >...will weblogic just naturally use all four cpu's then,
    > or do we have to bind each weblogic app server instance to 2 cpu's each?

    You're making it too difficult. What advantage is gained by binding
    WebLogic cluster nodes to specific processors? What threading model
    are you planning to use? Processor affinity is cool, but use it
    wisely. You're milage may vary. Standard disclaimers apply, as
    always.

    Brian J. Mitchell
    Systems Administrator, MIS
    TRX