vxWorks 5.5 in a virtual machine - VxWorks

This is a discussion on vxWorks 5.5 in a virtual machine - VxWorks ; A few posts in the archives of this group mention being able to run vxWorks in a virtual machine. I spent a few hours today trying to figure out how to do this but was unsuccessful. My host is Windows ...

  1. vxWorks 5.5 in a virtual machine

    A few posts in the archives of this group mention being able to run
    vxWorks in a virtual machine. I spent a few hours today trying to
    figure out how to do this but was unsuccessful.

    My host is Windows XP.

    Here is what I did.
    1) I created a 1.44 MB floppy image and formatted it as FAT16.
    2) I created an ISO image of the tornado2.2/x86-win32/bin directory
    plus tornado2.2\target\config\pcPentium2\bootrom.bin
    3) I set up a virtual machine and installed FreeDOS on its hard drive
    4) I launched the virtual machine and mounted the floppy and ISO
    images
    5) From the ISO CD directory, I entered "mkboot a: bootrom.bin"
    ===========================
    VxSys 1.6 (c) Wind River 1993-2002
    Boot sector installed OK.
    bootrom.bin => a:bootrom.sys
    System transferred. Checking a:BOOTROM.SYS is contiguous
    chkdsk a: bootrom.sys
    ChkDsk beta 0.9
    Copyright 2002, 2003 Imre Leber under the GNU GPL

    Cannot access a:bootrom.sys
    ============================
    6) I verified that bootrom.sys was copied correctly and strongly
    doubted that it was not contiguous, given that the disk image was
    freshly formatted. I concluded that the error message was most likely
    due to syntax and capability differences between FreeDOS and MS-DOS
    versions of chkdsk.

    7) I rebooted the virtual machine. The console displayed this:
    =====================
    V1.6++++++++++++++++++++++[...]
    =====================
    There were about 600 plus marks, then an underscore. That was it.
    The system did not respond to any kind of keyboard input.

    I tried this with both VirtualBox 1.5.4 and VMware Server 1.0.6. I
    also tried the i486 bootrom image. The results were all the same.

    I would greatly appreciate any advice from someone who has
    successfully pulled this off.

  2. Re: vxWorks 5.5 in a virtual machine

    I've made some progress by fiddling with config.h in the BSP.

    I enabled the console (#define PC_CONSOLE).
    I also changed the ethernet device to AMD 79C97x (#define
    INCLUDE_LN_97X_END) which matches the 79C970A device used by
    VirtualBox.

    After these changes, I can load the bootrom and start to load
    vxWorks.st. Here's as far as it gets:
    Attaching to floppy disk device... done.
    Starting at 0x308000...

    Then it apparently hangs. I tried pinging the target but got no reply.

+ Reply to Thread