boot loader hangs on startup - VxWorks

This is a discussion on boot loader hangs on startup - VxWorks ; Hi all I am trying to create a boot loader that fetches an image over network (FTP). The boot loader should preferably be configured from within the Workbench. My target is effectively a pentium PC with a flah disk for ...

  1. boot loader hangs on startup

    Hi all

    I am trying to create a boot loader that fetches an image over network
    (FTP). The boot loader should preferably be configured from within the
    Workbench.

    My target is effectively a pentium PC with a flah disk for HDD. It
    runs DOS, so I boot VxWorks using VxBoot. This has worked for ages
    with older version of VxWorks.

    I can create (i.e., configure, build, and transfer) a boot loader, but
    on execution it hangs after having output 4, 6, or 8 dots on the
    target's screen - there is no subsequent activity on either screen or
    serial console as I would expect on succesful execution.

    What I do:
    ---------------
    * Create a new VxWorks Image project with the PROFILE_BOOTAPP profile
    * Configure the boot loader to include vxBus Timer Support, PCI Bus
    legacy Auto Configuration Routines (needed to avoid errors on build),
    support for AMD NIC, and sometimes PC console
    * Build the boot loader "vxWorks_romComress" on my host PC.
    * Make a binary of the build result for transferral to target using
    the post build rule "objcopypentium -O binary [--gap-fill=0] [--binary-
    without-bss] vxWorks_romCompress bootrom.bin". Bracketed pieces
    optional, the result is the same.
    * Transfer the binary bootrom.bin to target by means of 3.5" disk and
    Nike network
    * Boot target.

    What happens:
    ---------------------
    I get the usual screen output:
    "VxLoad version 1.1 (c) Wind River Systems 1993
    ........."
    then execution hangs. No activity on serial port or target's screen as
    expected dep. on inclusion of PC console.

    Does anyone have suggestions as to the error and/or the solution?

    Regards,
    Troels

  2. Re: boot loader hangs on startup

    Hi Troels
    Maybe you forgot to add DRV_TIMER_I8253 to your project. Also you
    might need INCLUDE_PENTIUM_PCI. And check your RAM_HIGH_ADRS and
    RAM_LOW_ADRS, because if they are defined in config.h file, these
    definitions override definitions in the BSP .cdf file, correct values
    for PROFILE_BOOTAPP are stored in WindRiver/vxworks-6.6/target/config/
    pcPentium2/3/4/00bsp.cdf (for RAM_LOW_ADRS it is 0x00108000)

+ Reply to Thread