making ppp interface on motfcc END - VxWorks

This is a discussion on making ppp interface on motfcc END - VxWorks ; Hello, I have a motFCC END driver which is loaded by MUX. The driver supports the FCC device of a MPC8260 and supports 100Mbps ethernet. I need to make this a M2_ifType_ppp type interface. The driver is a generic END ...

  1. making ppp interface on motfcc END

    Hello,

    I have a motFCC END driver which is loaded by MUX. The driver supports
    the FCC device of a MPC8260 and supports 100Mbps ethernet. I need to
    make this a M2_ifType_ppp type interface. The driver is a generic END
    style driver and vxworks version is 5.4.

    I updated the ifType to M2_ifType_ppp and inited the END_INIT / MIB
    with the correct params. But ifDstAddrSet() fails to set the remote
    END IP. and How do I change the NetMask (ifMaskSet() only updates the
    subnetmask)? Any suggestions ?

    I am adding the ifShow.
    motfcc (unit number 0):
    Flags: (0x80f1) UP POINT-TO-POINT MULTICAST RUNNING
    Type: PPP
    inet: 10.10.10.10
    Destination Internet address: 0.0.0.0
    Netmask 0xff000000 Subnetmask 0xffffff00
    Metric is 0
    Maximum Transfer Unit size is 1500
    8723339 octets received
    239412 octets sent
    2189 unicast packets received
    3883 unicast packets sent
    16068 non-unicast packets received
    13 non-unicast packets sent
    0 incoming packets discarded
    0 outgoing packets discarded
    0 incoming errors
    0 outgoing errors
    9510 unknown protos
    0 output queue drops

  2. Re: making ppp interface on motfcc END

    On Jul 25, 6:39 am, jess...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a motFCC END driver which is loaded by MUX. The driver supports
    > the FCC device of a MPC8260 and supports 100Mbps ethernet. I need to
    > make this a M2_ifType_ppp type interface. The driver is a generic END
    > style driver and vxworks version is 5.4.
    >
    > I updated the ifType to M2_ifType_ppp and inited the END_INIT / MIB
    > with the correct params. But ifDstAddrSet() fails to set the remote
    > END IP. and How do I change the NetMask (ifMaskSet() only updates the
    > subnetmask)? Any suggestions ?
    >
    > I am adding the ifShow.
    > motfcc (unit number 0):
    > Flags: (0x80f1) UP POINT-TO-POINT MULTICAST RUNNING
    > Type: PPP
    > inet: 10.10.10.10
    > Destination Internet address: 0.0.0.0
    > Netmask 0xff000000 Subnetmask 0xffffff00
    > Metric is 0
    > Maximum Transfer Unit size is 1500
    > 8723339 octets received
    > 239412 octets sent
    > 2189 unicast packets received
    > 3883 unicast packets sent
    > 16068 non-unicast packets received
    > 13 non-unicast packets sent
    > 0 incoming packets discarded
    > 0 outgoing packets discarded
    > 0 incoming errors
    > 0 outgoing errors
    > 9510 unknown protos
    > 0 output queue drops

    Yes: I suggest you explain just why you're trying to accomplish in the
    first place, because what you're doing here is totally bogus. If what
    you really meant to say was "I need to run PPP over ethernet (PPPoE)"
    they you can't do it like this.

    -Bill

  3. Re: making ppp interface on motfcc END

    On Jul 26, 5:10 am, noiset...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 25, 6:39 am, jess...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > Hello,

    > > I have a motFCC END driver which is loaded by MUX. The driver supports
    > > the FCC device of a MPC8260 and supports 100Mbps ethernet. I need to
    > > make this a M2_ifType_ppp type interface. The driver is a generic END
    > > style driver and vxworks version is 5.4.

    > > I updated the ifType to M2_ifType_ppp and inited the END_INIT / MIB
    > > with the correct params. But ifDstAddrSet() fails to set the remote
    > > END IP. and How do I change the NetMask (ifMaskSet() only updates the
    > > subnetmask)? Any suggestions ?

    > > I am adding the ifShow.
    > > motfcc (unit number 0):
    > > Flags: (0x80f1) UP POINT-TO-POINT MULTICAST RUNNING
    > > Type: PPP
    > > inet: 10.10.10.10
    > > Destination Internet address: 0.0.0.0
    > > Netmask 0xff000000 Subnetmask 0xffffff00
    > > Metric is 0
    > > Maximum Transfer Unit size is 1500
    > > 8723339 octets received
    > > 239412 octets sent
    > > 2189 unicast packets received
    > > 3883 unicast packets sent
    > > 16068 non-unicast packets received
    > > 13 non-unicast packets sent
    > > 0 incoming packets discarded
    > > 0 outgoing packets discarded
    > > 0 incoming errors
    > > 0 outgoing errors
    > > 9510 unknown protos
    > > 0 output queue drops

    > Yes: I suggest you explain just why you're trying to accomplish in the
    > first place, because what you're doing here is totally bogus. If what
    > you really meant to say was "I need to run PPP over ethernet (PPPoE)"
    > they you can't do it like this.
    >
    > -Bill

    Bill,

    I am not trying for PPP over ethernet. I just need to make the
    interface point to point at both ends - the reason is the link is a
    dedicated between two cards and will have static IP address attached
    to it. The IP address used for the interface needs to be in a specific
    range which is used for other purposes also (but limited to the
    internal vxworks target). I was looking at a solution of making the
    interfaces point to point and adding destination MAC/IP available in
    the driver. There will be host route addition specifying the other end
    so that the MUX layer gets the right interface for route lookup.

    So even though the physical layer is ethernet, I am making it a point
    to point to workaround the limitations. Understand its crude.. my
    understanding is we need to have the DST/SRC MAC/IP address available
    in the driver (motfcc). And the ifdstAddrSet fails in my case. Do you
    see an issue with this approach ? Any suggestions other than what I am
    trying ?

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread