IP forwarding from one interface to another - VxWorks

This is a discussion on IP forwarding from one interface to another - VxWorks ; In VxWorks 6.2, how to route an IP packet meant for some other destination? For. eg., I have a dual core proprietary processor (cpu 1 & cpu 2), each with two interfaces, let's call it 1a & 1b, 2a & ...

  1. IP forwarding from one interface to another

    In VxWorks 6.2, how to route an IP packet meant for some other
    destination? For. eg., I have a dual core proprietary processor (cpu 1
    & cpu 2), each with two interfaces, let's call it 1a & 1b, 2a & 2b.
    The hardware architecture is such that any packet pinged for any
    interface in cpu2 will always come to cpu1. My requirement is to route
    the packets (meant for cpu 2) that arrive in cpu 1, to the appropriate
    interface in cpu 2. For clarity, let's assign IP addr for all these
    interfaces:

    1a --> 30.7.1.1
    1b --> 192.1.0.1

    2a --> 30.7.1.2
    2b --> 192.1.0.2

    Note that, 1b & 2b are shared memory (virtual) interfaces. The
    standard VxWorks shared memory driver is pulled in and made to poll
    these interfaces. If any data arrives on these interfaces, it'll put
    into the shared memory of the other interface. ie. If any packed
    arrives on 1b, the shared memory driver that polls on this, picks up
    the packet and sends it to 2b. The shared memory driver that polls on
    2b picks up this packet and sends it to 2a.

    Now, from some host (pc - Unix), if I "ping 30.7.1.2", due to the
    hardware architecture, it'll come to 1a. From here, I need to route it
    to 2a. How can this be achieved ?

    In cpu 1's shell, I did "routeAdd("10.7.1.41", "192.1.0.1").

    But I'm not able to see any packets in "192.1.0.1".

    In general, if there are two interfaces (belonging to different
    subnets as in this case) in VxWorks, how to send a packet from one
    interface to another? ie. as a first step I want to send from 1a to
    1b.

    Thanks,
    Suresh

  2. Re: IP forwarding from one interface to another

    On Sep 25, 11:32 am, dssuresh wrote:
    > In VxWorks 6.2, how to route an IP packet meant for some other
    > destination? For. eg., I have a dual core proprietary processor (cpu 1
    > & cpu 2), each with two interfaces, let's call it 1a & 1b, 2a & 2b.
    > The hardware architecture is such that any packet pinged for any
    > interface in cpu2 will always come to cpu1. My requirement is to route
    > the packets (meant for cpu 2) that arrive in cpu 1, to the appropriate
    > interface in cpu 2. For clarity, let's assign IP addr for all these
    > interfaces:
    >
    > 1a --> 30.7.1.1
    > 1b --> 192.1.0.1
    >
    > 2a --> 30.7.1.2
    > 2b --> 192.1.0.2
    >
    > Note that, 1b & 2b are shared memory (virtual) interfaces. The
    > standard VxWorks shared memory driver is pulled in and made to poll
    > these interfaces. If any data arrives on these interfaces, it'll put
    > into the shared memory of the other interface. ie. If any packed
    > arrives on 1b, the shared memory driver that polls on this, picks up
    > the packet and sends it to 2b. The shared memory driver that polls on
    > 2b picks up this packet and sends it to 2a.
    >
    > Now, from some host (pc - Unix), if I "ping 30.7.1.2", due to the
    > hardware architecture, it'll come to 1a. From here, I need to route it
    > to 2a. How can this be achieved ?
    >
    > In cpu 1's shell, I did "routeAdd("10.7.1.41", "192.1.0.1").
    >
    > But I'm not able to see any packets in "192.1.0.1".
    >
    > In general, if there are two interfaces (belonging to different
    > subnets as in this case) in VxWorks, how to send a packet from one
    > interface to another? ie. as a first step I want to send from 1a to
    > 1b.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Suresh

    Try following steps
    Go to VxWorks kernel configuration
    network protocol components -> Network IP v4 components ->IPV4
    Set Enable IP forwarding between interfaces to TRUE (I suppose by
    default it would be ipForwardCfg)
    Rebuild image and try again.

    VKG | Ritsoft Technologies

+ Reply to Thread