process loader - VxWorks

This is a discussion on process loader - VxWorks ; Hi, I'm a researcher in safety-critical software, and I have a question about the architecture of the VxWorks operating systems. I'd like to ask about the task loader (no the boot loader, but the OS part which loads in memory ...

  1. process loader

    Hi,

    I'm a researcher in safety-critical software, and I have a question
    about the architecture of the VxWorks operating systems. I'd like to
    ask about the task loader (no the boot loader, but the OS part which
    loads in memory a new thread): in VxWorks 5

    I'm unable to find any info about this, and that's the reason I come
    here

  2. Re: process loader

    Sorry, I inadvertely sent the message...

    In RTEMS the applications are statically linked with the kernel, i.e.
    a single binary is generated by the compiler toolchain and therefore
    there is no process loader (all the software runs in "kernel" mode).
    However, in VxWorks 5 there are kernel and user threads, and AFAIK
    both are loaded at run-time through a process loader. My question is
    whether VxWorks 653 also has a partition and process loader, or it is
    like RTEMS.

    I'm unable to find any info about this. Do you have any clue about
    where I can find more information?

    Thank you very much

    Best regards,

    On 21 sep, 13:13, Santiago Urue˝a wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a researcher in safety-critical software, and I have a question
    > about the architecture of the VxWorks operating systems. I'd like to
    > ask about the task loader (no the boot loader, but the OS part which
    > loads in memory a new thread): in VxWorks 5
    >
    > I'm unable to find any info about this, and that's the reason I come
    > here

  3. Re: process loader

    Santiago Urue˝a wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a researcher in safety-critical software, and I have a question
    > about the architecture of the VxWorks operating systems. I'd like to
    > ask about the task loader (no the boot loader, but the OS part which
    > loads in memory a new thread): in VxWorks 5
    >
    > I'm unable to find any info about this, and that's the reason I come
    > here

    Probably still too vague to answer. If you start talking about something
    like a task loader that loads into memory a new thread (v.s. something
    that loads a module) it begins (though not quite) to sound as if you are
    perhaps talking about some sort of a paging system which does not apply
    for standard vxWorks 5. Of course even that does not make a lot of sense
    because OS paging routines generally don't load in tasks either..So then
    I think perhaps you are just talking about the scheduler and how it does
    context switching of things like CPU registers. That assumption then
    seems too far away from the original question...

    So, can you try again?

  4. Re: process loader

    Hi Jeff,

    Jeffrey Creem wrote:

    > Santiago Urue├▒a wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm a researcher in safety-critical software, and I have a question
    >> about the architecture of the VxWorks operating systems. I'd like to
    >> ask about the task loader (no the boot loader, but the OS part which
    >> loads in memory a new thread): in VxWorks 5
    >>
    >> I'm unable to find any info about this, and that's the reason I come
    >> here
    >>

    > Probably still too vague to answer. If you start talking about something
    > like a task loader that loads into memory a new thread (v.s. something
    > that loads a module) it begins (though not quite) to sound as if you are
    > perhaps talking about some sort of a paging system which does not apply
    > for standard vxWorks 5. Of course even that does not make a lot of sense
    > because OS paging routines generally don't load in tasks either..So then
    > I think perhaps you are just talking about the scheduler and how it does
    > context switching of things like CPU registers. That assumption then
    > seems too far away from the original question...
    >
    > So, can you try again?

    sorry, as I said in my previous message, I sent the answer before actually
    finishing the message. But I'll try to explain my question better.

    This is not related with the scheduler or memory management at all (neither
    dynamic memory, overlays...), but with the part of the kernel which loads
    an executable in memory.

    Santiago Urue├▒a wrote:
    > Sorry, I inadvertely sent the message...
    >
    > In RTEMS the applications are statically linked with the kernel, i.e.
    > a single binary is generated by the compiler toolchain and therefore
    > there is no process loader (all the software runs in "kernel" mode).
    > However, in VxWorks 5 there are kernel and user threads, and AFAIK
    > both are loaded at run-time through a process loader. My question is
    > whether VxWorks 653 also has a partition and process loader, or it is
    > like RTEMS.
    >
    > I'm unable to find any info about this. Do you have any clue about
    > where I can find more information?

    Thanks for your response

    --
    Santiago Urue├▒a