Stubbing out VxWorks for unit test - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Stubbing out VxWorks for unit test - VxWorks ; I want to unit test some existing software which makes calls to VxWorks. I want to test the software under Windows and I would ideally like to replace any and all VxWorks calls (get/send message, spawn/kill task, etc) by stubs. ...

  1. Stubbing out VxWorks for unit test

    I want to unit test some existing software which makes calls to
    VxWorks.

    I want to test the software under Windows and I would ideally like to
    replace any and all VxWorks calls (get/send message, spawn/kill task,
    etc) by stubs. That would allow me to easily test how the software
    behaves when these functions return an error.

    I don't want to use Tornado for this either.

    Does anyone know if such a thing exists? Just a collection of C
    functions with the same parameters as the VxWorks functions (or at
    least the most commonly used - I can addd more if needed)?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. Re: Stubbing out VxWorks for unit test

    I've done similar things in the past for non-multitasking tests; sorry
    I have no code now to help you out. However, I suspect you'd want to
    write these stub functions yourself anyway, especially since you are
    unit testing. You likely to edit anyone else code anyway during the
    testing process. Also if you use posix calls, as opposed to vxworks
    calls, cross platform development and testing can be less troublesome.
    Yes there is some overhead with including posix in your vxworks image,
    but unless you in a "deeply" embedded device or extremely time
    critical application I suspect you could handle the overhead. Maybe
    posix won't be the answer to all your woes, but this is one of its
    possible benefits.

    I know you don't want to use Tornado or Workbench, and I truly commend
    you for your stubbornest. If however you are someday forced to accept
    reality as I was and at risk of sounding like a WRS employee, which
    I'm not, I encourage you to look at the following product for unit
    testing.

    Specifically, if your vxworks image contains Sensorpoints, you can
    cause malloc to return different values on each call, including null.
    The point here is that you do not have to recompile you vxworks image
    to change your test, because the sensorpoints module included in your
    image handles all test case communications. Of course if you can do it
    for malloc you can do similar things for any function call.

    I just started playing with Wind River's Sensorpoints, which comes
    with the "Workbench Diagnostics" package. I think it's around $3K per
    seat. It would be very useful for unit testing. It certainly appears
    to be a useful tool, especially if you add on the next level product
    "Lab Diagnostics".

    Anyway those are just my ramblings. good luck.

+ Reply to Thread