Compiling a new kernel with Eclipse Workbench - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Compiling a new kernel with Eclipse Workbench - VxWorks ; Hi, i'm just starting with vxWorks, so i'm sorry if my question is to simple. Well, i downloaded a Evaluation copy of VxWorks from wind river, and istalled it. It works fine! I already made some programs and tested them ...

  1. Compiling a new kernel with Eclipse Workbench

    Hi, i'm just starting with vxWorks, so i'm sorry if my question is to
    simple.

    Well, i downloaded a Evaluation copy of VxWorks from wind river, and
    istalled it. It works fine!

    I already made some programs and tested them in the VxSim integrated
    with Eclipse Workbench.

    My problems started when i started trying to generate a kernel to run
    on a Pentium 150MHz laptop or a Celerom 700MHz laptop, for tests.

    I did manage to generate a bootloader, and use it in both computers.
    But every kernel i try to compile with the most different options,
    makes the machine reboot just after being loaded.

    I'm using vxload.com at config.sys in a DOS boot disk.

    The bootloader starts, but the kernel reboots the machine.

    I searched for documentation, but did not find many stuff on how to
    compile and deploy a VxWorks kernel.

    thanks!

    []s Rafael.

  2. Re: Compiling a new kernel with Eclipse Workbench

    On Jul 14, 4:58 pm, rafaelaroca wrote:
    > Hi, i'm just starting with vxWorks, so i'm sorry if my question is to
    > simple.
    >
    > Well, i downloaded a Evaluation copy of VxWorks from wind river, and
    > istalled it. It works fine!
    >
    > I already made some programs and tested them in the VxSim integrated
    > with Eclipse Workbench.
    >
    > My problems started when i started trying to generate a kernel to run
    > on a Pentium 150MHz laptop or a Celerom 700MHz laptop, for tests.
    >
    > I did manage to generate a bootloader, and use it in both computers.
    > But every kernel i try to compile with the most different options,
    > makes the machine reboot just after being loaded.
    >
    > I'm using vxload.com at config.sys in a DOS boot disk.
    >
    > The bootloader starts, but the kernel reboots the machine.
    >
    > I searched for documentation, but did not find many stuff on how to
    > compile and deploy a VxWorks kernel.
    >
    > thanks!
    >
    > []s Rafael.

    Hi there,

    If you are using Workbench to build your kernels look for
    documentation on how to create a V.I.P (vxWorks Image project) That
    will create your vxWorks image. Then you'll need to read up on how to
    load your image. If your boot loader is build right when you see the
    count down hit any key. You'll then see a prompt that might look
    like. vxWorks:] enter c and fill out all of the required info. after
    you see the boot prompt again type @ and enter. If you have
    everything setup right the kernel will boot. if not you'll get the
    boot prompt again.

    Joe

  3. Re: Compiling a new kernel with Eclipse Workbench

    Hi Joe,

    thanks for the reply, but maybe i explained wrongly my problem.

    When i posted this message, i had already created a vxWroks Image
    Project.

    My problem was in the step in loading this image.

    As i'm using a laptop, i don't have a pcmcia enabled bootloader to
    load the vxworks kernel image.

    Then, i started trying the tool mkboot to create a bootable floppy
    disk from the image. I also tried a dos bootable disk with vxload.com

    But in all cases after loading the vxworks kernel, i get no console
    output, and the machine hangs

    thanks

    Rafael

  4. Re: Compiling a new kernel with Eclipse Workbench

    Hello rafaelaroca,
    maybe your stdin/stdout is configured to use the serial line (default).
    Then it looks like the target would hang.
    Try to configure PC_CONSOLE as stdin/stdout.

    --
    BaSystem Martin Raabe
    E: Martin.RaabeB-a-S-y-s-t-e-mde

  5. Re: Compiling a new kernel with Eclipse Workbench

    I'm sure it is not.

    Because, i connected a null modem cable to the serial port, and the
    terminal output shows nothing.

    I also tried a bootloader, and from the bootloader i get the menu over
    the serial port.

    So the bootloader works, and also the serial port

    thanks

    Rafael

+ Reply to Thread