Changing processor family with VxWorks - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Changing processor family with VxWorks - VxWorks ; Please pardon my ignorance about the subject. If I have to change the underlying processor family, yet retain the application software running on VxWorks, what do I need to do to the VxWorks binaries? I do not have the source ...

  1. Changing processor family with VxWorks

    Please pardon my ignorance about the subject. If I have to change the
    underlying processor family, yet retain the application software
    running on VxWorks, what do I need to do to the VxWorks binaries? I
    do not have the source code with me. In short, are the VxWorks
    binaries (supplied with Tornado) specific to a processor or are they
    generic and take care of processor dependencies via BSP?

    I am migrating from an ARM based system to MIPS.
    Thanks
    - Sameer

  2. Re: Changing processor family with VxWorks

    sameer wrote:

    >Please pardon my ignorance about the subject. If I have to change the
    >underlying processor family, yet retain the application software
    >running on VxWorks, what do I need to do to the VxWorks binaries? I
    >do not have the source code with me. In short, are the VxWorks
    >binaries (supplied with Tornado) specific to a processor or are they
    >generic and take care of processor dependencies via BSP?
    >
    >I am migrating from an ARM based system to MIPS.
    >Thanks
    >- Sameer

    The VxWorks binaries cannot be "generic" as there is no way to write
    binaries that can execute directly on various processors. Those
    binaries are therefore specific to processors or, in VxWorks parlance,
    architectures. BSPs are further specific to boards on which processors
    are included.

    Your port, then, will require that you purchase support for the MIPS
    architecture from Wind River and install it on your host(s), develop
    a BSP and drivers for your MIPS hardware environment, and port your
    application. Depending on how your application was originally written,
    its port may take no effort or very much effort. If it was written to
    perform all of its I/O through device drivers and the VxWorks I/O system
    then it may be truely portable. If, on the other hand, your application
    accesses system resources directly and in ways that are specific to your
    ARM hardware environment, then the ARM-specific portions will have to be
    rewritten.

    Good luck!

    | two, one and one make one."

  3. Re: Changing processor family with VxWorks

    sameer wrote:
    > Please pardon my ignorance about the subject. If I have to change the
    > underlying processor family, yet retain the application software
    > running on VxWorks, what do I need to do to the VxWorks binaries? I
    > do not have the source code with me. In short, are the VxWorks
    > binaries (supplied with Tornado) specific to a processor or are they
    > generic and take care of processor dependencies via BSP?
    >
    > I am migrating from an ARM based system to MIPS.
    > Thanks
    > - Sameer

    If using Tornado (v.s. Workbench) you need to buy a new development
    license for the new processor family.
    You need a new BSP.
    You need to recompile your application code from source.

    If using Workbench with the newer license model, you won't need to buy a
    new development license but this is because with the newer license
    model, you get the compilers/target libraries for all processor families.
    You still need a new BSP.
    You still need to recompile your application code from source.

  4. Re: Changing processor family with VxWorks

    Thanks a lot Jeffrey and Michael. Appreciate your help.
    - Sameer

  5. Re: Changing processor family with VxWorks

    After reading your post, I am assuming that the binaries that WRS
    supplies for MIPS are dependent upon a processor architecture within
    the MIPS family. We have not nailed down the exact processor we would
    be using, but it will be either R7000 or some MIPS32 based processor.
    Now one of these is a MIPS-IV processor and another is MIPS32 (which
    is based upon MIPS-II). Is my assumption that the binaries for these
    two will be different correct?

    Or may be I can use binaries for MIPS-II and due to backward
    compatibility, they will run seamlessly on MIPS-IV as well, if we
    decide to go that route.

    Thanks
    - Sameer

  6. Re: Changing processor family with VxWorks

    sameer wrote:

    >After reading your post, I am assuming that the binaries that WRS
    >supplies for MIPS are dependent upon a processor architecture within
    >the MIPS family. We have not nailed down the exact processor we would
    >be using, but it will be either R7000 or some MIPS32 based processor.
    >Now one of these is a MIPS-IV processor and another is MIPS32 (which
    >is based upon MIPS-II). Is my assumption that the binaries for these
    >two will be different correct?
    >
    >Or may be I can use binaries for MIPS-II and due to backward
    >compatibility, they will run seamlessly on MIPS-IV as well, if we
    >decide to go that route.

    These are fine questions for Wind River salesmen and field application
    engineers. They will be the most authoritive concerning the organization
    and compatibilities of their current products.

    >Thanks
    >- Sameer

    | two, one and one make one."

  7. Re: Changing processor family with VxWorks

    Michael R. Kesti wrote:
    > sameer wrote:
    >
    >> After reading your post, I am assuming that the binaries that WRS
    >> supplies for MIPS are dependent upon a processor architecture within
    >> the MIPS family. We have not nailed down the exact processor we would
    >> be using, but it will be either R7000 or some MIPS32 based processor.
    >> Now one of these is a MIPS-IV processor and another is MIPS32 (which
    >> is based upon MIPS-II). Is my assumption that the binaries for these
    >> two will be different correct?
    >>
    >> Or may be I can use binaries for MIPS-II and due to backward
    >> compatibility, they will run seamlessly on MIPS-IV as well, if we
    >> decide to go that route.

    > These are fine questions for Wind River salesmen and field application
    > engineers. They will be the most authoritive concerning the organization
    > and compatibilities of their current products.
    >
    >> Thanks
    >> - Sameer

    That is correct. There are also several subtle issues in the MIPS family
    so ask your questions carefully. For example, I don't believe newer
    vxWorks versions support MIPS32 executables with hardware
    floating-point. So, if you need hardware float and go RM7000 family, you
    will be running MIPS64 to get it and thus it may not be able to run
    these same executables on an older architectures.

  8. Re: Changing processor family with VxWorks

    Thanks once again. That helps a lot.
    - Sameer

+ Reply to Thread