Ramdisk and kernel configuration - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Ramdisk and kernel configuration - VxWorks ; Hi, I am newbie to vxworks. I have the following doubts. 1. In Linux, different types of booting are available ( Ram booting, NFS booting) and we have to create the ramdisk (for utilities, conf files, and commands (busy box) ...

  1. Ramdisk and kernel configuration

    Hi,
    I am newbie to vxworks. I have the following doubts.

    1. In Linux, different types of booting are available ( Ram booting,
    NFS booting) and we have to create the ramdisk (for utilities, conf
    files, and commands (busy box) ). So whether I have to create any
    ramdisk in Vxworks.

    2. In Linux, default kernel configuration files are available in
    specific dir ( e.g. arch/ppc/configs/config file). what about vxworks.

    -Thanks
    K.Ananth

  2. Re: Ramdisk and kernel configuration

    Hi Anand,
    1) vxworks also provides the booting facilities which you
    mentioned.vxWorks as well has the ramdisk facility,you can create the
    ramdisk with the fallowing command for storing utilities ,
    commands ..etc..
    ramDevCreate(you can refer to online manuals about ramDisk creation
    details.
    2)vxWorks does not have default kernel configuration files
    concept,there is no specific dir.If at all you need any configuration
    files to be executed on the vxworks target you can go for either
    ramdisk for storing ur configuration files and execute form there or
    through the NFS form your boothost you can execute.
    I hope this helps a little.
    regards,
    -Svr

  3. Re: Ramdisk and kernel configuration

    VxWorks is a kind of OS with host-target based enviroment.
    If you want to change kernel configuration of VxWorks, you have to
    change the files in
    target/config/BSP which reside on your host computer.

    > Hi,
    > I am newbie to vxworks. I have the following doubts.
    >
    > 1. In Linux, different types of booting are available ( Ram booting,
    > NFS booting) and we have to create the ramdisk (for utilities, conf
    > files, and commands (busy box) ). So whether I have to create any
    > ramdisk in Vxworks.
    >
    > 2. In Linux, default kernel configuration files are available in
    > specific dir ( e.g. arch/ppc/configs/config file). what about vxworks.
    >
    > -Thanks
    > K.Ananth

+ Reply to Thread