Moving SNiFF+ project to new machine (x86 host) - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Moving SNiFF+ project to new machine (x86 host) - VxWorks ; I have a currently functioning build environment on an older PC for a project within Tornado II / SNiFF+ and I am trying to move the tools and application software to a newer host machine. (I have the tools installed ...

  1. Moving SNiFF+ project to new machine (x86 host)

    I have a currently functioning build environment on an older PC for a
    project within Tornado II / SNiFF+ and I am trying to move the tools
    and application software to a newer host machine. (I have the tools
    installed and licensed on the new machine.)

    What is the easiest way to go about moving the SNiFF / Tornado
    projects to the new machine?

    I guessing that the easiest way to accomplish this is via a version
    control tool, except that the project was started without using one.
    We have a SourceSafe server but I am having problems getting that to
    work for this project.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Moving SNiFF+ project to new machine (x86 host)

    Hello jimzat,
    jimzat schrieb:
    > I have a currently functioning build environment on an older PC for a
    > project within Tornado II / SNiFF+ and I am trying to move the tools
    > and application software to a newer host machine. (I have the tools
    > installed and licensed on the new machine.)
    >
    > What is the easiest way to go about moving the SNiFF / Tornado
    > projects to the new machine?
    >
    > I guessing that the easiest way to accomplish this is via a version
    > control tool, except that the project was started without using one.
    > We have a SourceSafe server but I am having problems getting that to
    > work for this project.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    I do not understand the problem.
    As far as I understand there is a working PC where the project lives and
    can be built and downloaded and where you can debug it.

    If the new PC can execute Tornado and SNiFF+, then you should just copy
    the project folder to the new PC and open the project file from within
    SNiFF+.
    There is a slight chande that you have set user speciffic settings,
    which also have to be moved.
    Those settings are stored in the file "SitePrefs.sniff.V0.45".

    So I would do these steps:
    1. Install Tornado
    2. Install SNiFF+
    3. Make sure all works nicely by testing the gizmo project
    from the manual "Getting Started".
    4. Copy settings of SNiFF+
    5. Copy the project folder
    6. Open the project from within the new SNiFF+ and test it.
    7. Enjoy!

    PS: The SNiFF+ installation comes with an RCS Version Control, which
    could be better than using SourceSafe.

    PS2: Please make sure to use SNiFF+ 4.2 CP2 for further use of the
    Tornado - SNiFF+ Integration since the 4.1 integration has some flaws.

    Hope it helps.

    --
    BaSystem Martin Raabe
    E: Martin.RaabeB-a-S-y-s-t-e-mde

  3. Re: Moving SNiFF+ project to new machine (x86 host)

    Martin Raabe wrote:

    >PS: The SNiFF+ installation comes with an RCS Version Control, which
    >could be better than using SourceSafe.

    Anything, including using no RCS whatsoever, is better than using
    SourceSafe!