This is a discussion on Loading VxWorks 5.x with GRUB - VxWorks ; Hello, I apologize if this is a rehash and I've missed earlier answers to this question (I did check, but not enough info was provided).... I am trying to load a VxWorks image using GRUB 0.92 or 0.97. I know ...

    Hello,

    I apologize if this is a rehash and I've missed earlier answers to
    this question (I did check, but not enough info was provided)....

    I am trying to load a VxWorks image using GRUB 0.92 or 0.97. I know
    about using the "--type=netbsd" switch and have managed to get GRUB to
    load my vxWorks image as long as it is targeted to load above 1MB.

    However, after loading the image one of two things happens: a) the CPU
    hangs, or b) It resets and BIOS starts executing again.

    >From earlier posts it seems this should be an "easy" thing to do, but

    I'm clearly missing something.

    Could I be using the wrong vxWorks target (i.e., make vxWorks vs make
    vxWorks.st etc)?
    Is there an issue with real vs protected mode w.r.t. the state GRUB
    leaves the processor in and the state vxWorks is expecting?

    Does anyone who has done this before have any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    -Tom.

  2. Re: Loading VxWorks 5.x with GRUB

    Hi Everyone.

    I got this working in the end so I thought I'd share what I had to do
    to achieve this:

    1. In _sysInit() (sysALib.s) comment out the set of stack and frame
    pointers
    2. In config.h and makefile, change RAM_LOW_ADDRESS to 0x00100000
    instead of 0x00108000.

    On that second part, it seems GRUB would see this as a 1MB load
    address, but an entry point of 1MB + 32K. Changing the RAM_LOW_ADDRESS
    caused GRUB to see 1MB for both values and everything worked as it
    should have.

    Cheers,
    -Tom.

    On May 9, 4:38 pm, Tom Mikkelsen wrote:

    > I am trying to load a VxWorks image using GRUB 0.92 or 0.97. I know
    > about using the "--type=netbsd" switch and have managed to get GRUB to
    > load my vxWorks image as long as it is targeted to load above 1MB.

    > Does anyone who has done this before have any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Tom.

+ Reply to Thread