MemScope Peak Memory Usage - VxWorks

This is a discussion on MemScope Peak Memory Usage - VxWorks ; Is there a way to obtain peak memory usage with MemScope 2.1? The snapshot window shows max and current allocation per task and the bottom of the window shows cummulative max and current values. However, it looks like the "Total ...

  1. MemScope Peak Memory Usage

    Is there a way to obtain peak memory usage with MemScope 2.1? The
    snapshot window shows max and current allocation per task and the
    bottom of the window shows cummulative max and current values.
    However, it looks like the "Total Max Bytes" is just the summation of
    the peak values for each task. What would be more helpful for me is
    to know what the peak memory allocation was in time (basically, what
    is the hightest "Current Total Bytes" has ever been). I don't think
    its very realistic to say that the peak memory utilization for an
    application is the total of the peak utilizations for all tasks since
    it isn't likely that all tasks will every allocate their max values in
    any given scenario.

    Thanks,
    Josh

  2. Re: MemScope Peak Memory Usage

    Mears wrote:
    > Is there a way to obtain peak memory usage with MemScope 2.1? The
    > snapshot window shows max and current allocation per task and the
    > bottom of the window shows cummulative max and current values.
    > However, it looks like the "Total Max Bytes" is just the summation of
    > the peak values for each task. What would be more helpful for me is
    > to know what the peak memory allocation was in time (basically, what
    > is the hightest "Current Total Bytes" has ever been). I don't think
    > its very realistic to say that the peak memory utilization for an
    > application is the total of the peak utilizations for all tasks since
    > it isn't likely that all tasks will every allocate their max values in
    > any given scenario.

    Section 4.1.4 of the MemScope manual (MemScope 3.0, alas) discusses this.

  3. Re: MemScope Peak Memory Usage

    On Apr 25, 2:39 pm, red floyd wrote:
    > Mears wrote:
    > > Is there a way to obtain peak memory usage with MemScope 2.1? The
    > > snapshot window shows max and current allocation per task and the
    > > bottom of the window shows cummulative max and current values.
    > > However, it looks like the "Total Max Bytes" is just the summation of
    > > the peak values for each task. What would be more helpful for me is
    > > to know what the peak memory allocation was in time (basically, what
    > > is the hightest "Current Total Bytes" has ever been). I don't think
    > > its very realistic to say that the peak memory utilization for an
    > > application is the total of the peak utilizations for all tasks since
    > > it isn't likely that all tasks will every allocate their max values in
    > > any given scenario.

    > Section 4.1.4 of the MemScope manual (MemScope 3.0, alas) discusses this.

    So is there an added metric in 3.0 or do they detail how to calculate
    peak usage from what's listed?

  4. Re: MemScope Peak Memory Usage

    Mears wrote:
    > On Apr 25, 2:39 pm, red floyd wrote:
    >> Mears wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to obtain peak memory usage with MemScope 2.1? The
    >>> snapshot window shows max and current allocation per task and the
    >>> bottom of the window shows cummulative max and current values.
    >>> However, it looks like the "Total Max Bytes" is just the summation of
    >>> the peak values for each task. What would be more helpful for me is
    >>> to know what the peak memory allocation was in time (basically, what
    >>> is the hightest "Current Total Bytes" has ever been). I don't think
    >>> its very realistic to say that the peak memory utilization for an
    >>> application is the total of the peak utilizations for all tasks since
    >>> it isn't likely that all tasks will every allocate their max values in
    >>> any given scenario.

    >> Section 4.1.4 of the MemScope manual (MemScope 3.0, alas) discusses this.

    > So is there an added metric in 3.0 or do they detail how to calculate
    > peak usage from what's listed?

    Essentially, they say to use the Time View graph. Apparently that's
    total memory usage.

  5. Re: MemScope Peak Memory Usage

    On Apr 27, 9:13 am, red floyd wrote:
    > Mears wrote:
    > >> Section 4.1.4 of the MemScope manual (MemScope 3.0, alas) discusses this.

    > > So is there an added metric in 3.0 or do they detail how to calculate
    > > peak usage from what's listed?

    > Essentially, they say to use the Time View graph. Apparently that's
    > total memory usage.- Hide quoted text -

    Ah. I don't think that the time view option is available in 2.1.

+ Reply to Thread