asm language syntax of vxworks for ppc - VxWorks

This is a discussion on asm language syntax of vxworks for ppc - VxWorks ; which kind of asm language for vxworks?(AT&T?) where can I find the syntax of the asm language? For example: what does "lis r3,HI(MBAR_RESET_VALUE)" mean? thanks in advanced!...

  1. asm language syntax of vxworks for ppc

    which kind of asm language for vxworks?(AT&T?)
    where can I find the syntax of the asm language?

    For example:
    what does "lis r3,HI(MBAR_RESET_VALUE)" mean?

    thanks in advanced!

  2. Re: asm language syntax of vxworks for ppc

    xianghui_ren@126.com wrote:

    >which kind of asm language for vxworks?(AT&T?)

    There is no assembly language for VxWorks. Instead, there are assembly
    languages for the various targets (micorporcessors) supported by VxWorks.
    When one purchases VxWorks, one specifies one or more targets and receives
    tool chains for those target(s). Most Wind River customers use GNU derived
    tool chains although others are available, too.

    >where can I find the syntax of the asm language?

    In the tool chain's documentation. It often helps to have the target
    vendor's documentation available, too.

    >For example:
    > what does "lis r3,HI(MBAR_RESET_VALUE)" mean?

    I could be wrong, but this appears to be a Power PC instruction uses
    immediate addressing mode to load the upper 16 bits of the value
    represented by the macro MBAR_RESET_VALUE into the upper 16 bits of
    register 3.

    >thanks in advanced!

    You're welcomed!

    | two, one and one make one."

  3. Re: asm language syntax of vxworks for ppc

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:58:56 -0700, xianghui_ren wrote:

    > which kind of asm language for vxworks?(AT&T?)
    > where can I find the syntax of the asm language?
    >
    > For example:
    > what does "lis r3,HI(MBAR_RESET_VALUE)" mean?

    This is the extended mnemonic for the "addis" instruction. See the
    "PowerPC User Instruction Set Architecture" manual, Appendix B.9, from:

    WindRiver gives you the choice of either the regular mnemonics or the
    extended (AKA simplified) mnemonics for disassembly listings.

    You might also want to try Googling "powerpc assembly language" for info.

    ~Dave~

+ Reply to Thread