Would anyone can explain the files under "host/x86-win32/bin"directory particularly? - VxWorks

This is a discussion on Would anyone can explain the files under "host/x86-win32/bin"directory particularly? - VxWorks ; I read a paper which study how to install vxworks on a vmware in windows, the platform is tornado 2.2 for X86. In that , it refer the "torVars.bat" under the "host/x86-win32/bin"directory, but it did not say what this file ...

  1. Would anyone can explain the files under "host/x86-win32/bin"directory particularly?

    I read a paper which study how to install vxworks on a vmware in
    windows, the platform is tornado 2.2 for X86. In that , it refer the
    "torVars.bat" under the "host/x86-win32/bin"directory, but it did not
    say what this file is,

    Also the diretory"target\src\drv\end" and "\target\lib\pentium
    \PENTIUM\common" I don't know they at all , they were not mentioned in
    the help document.

    Can anyone say something?

  2. Re: Would anyone can explain the files under"host/x86-win32/bin"directory particularly?

    "heartofdra@gmail.com" wrote:

    > I read a paper which study how to install vxworks on a vmware in
    >windows, the platform is tornado 2.2 for X86. In that , it refer the
    >"torVars.bat" under the "host/x86-win32/bin"directory, but it did not
    >say what this file is,
    >
    > Also the diretory"target\src\drv\end" and "\target\lib\pentium
    >\PENTIUM\common" I don't know they at all , they were not mentioned in
    >the help document.
    >
    > Can anyone say something?

    Being a cross development system, Tornado/VxWorks provides files intended
    for use and/or execution on both one's host (the system on which you write,
    compile and debug programs) and the target (the system that will eventually
    execute those programs without the aid of the host). As you will have
    guessed. the host files are stored in the host directory and the target
    files in the target directory.

    Files intended to execute on an x86 processor under a 32-bit version of
    Windows(tm) are stored in host/x86-win32/bin. torvars.bat is a script
    (batch file) that sets environment variables and stuff so that one can
    execute other Tornado related programs in a DOS window/command prompt.

    target/src/drv/end contains enahnced network device (end) driver (drv)
    source (src) files that might be used for one's target.

    target/lib/pentium/common contains library files that might be used on a
    pentium target.

    Learning one's way around these and other directories is one of the many
    things that turns a VxWorks rookie into an experienced user. Another is
    learning one's way around the documentation. This can be initially very
    frustrating.

    HTH!

    | two, one and one make one."

  3. Re: Would anyone can explain the files under "host/x86-win32/bin"directory particularly?

    Thanks very much ? Would you please tell me where I can found
    the information for this ?
    As you konw , there are not only the "torVars.bat" under the
    "host/x86-win32/bin"directory, there are many others, also , there are
    many ".a" and ".o" files , what are their exactly usage, and that
    paper mentioned a command "arpentium -ra iOlicomEnd.o libdrv.a
    ln97xEnd.o", what is the "arpentium " means , is there other command
    like this ?

    Sorry to be boring, I really puzzle of these.

    On Apr 13, 11:10 am, "Michael R. Kesti"
    wrote:
    > "heartof...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > > I read a paper which study how to install vxworks on a vmware in
    > >windows, the platform is tornado 2.2 for X86. In that , it refer the
    > >"torVars.bat" under the "host/x86-win32/bin"directory, but it did not
    > >say what this file is,

    > > Also the diretory"target\src\drv\end" and "\target\lib\pentium
    > >\PENTIUM\common" I don't know they at all , they were not mentioned in
    > >the help document.

    > > Can anyone say something?

    > Being a cross development system, Tornado/VxWorks provides files intended
    > for use and/or execution on both one's host (the system on which you write,
    > compile and debug programs) and the target (the system that will eventually
    > execute those programs without the aid of the host). As you will have
    > guessed. the host files are stored in the host directory and the target
    > files in the target directory.
    >
    > Files intended to execute on an x86 processor under a 32-bit version of
    > Windows(tm) are stored in host/x86-win32/bin. torvars.bat is a script
    > (batch file) that sets environment variables and stuff so that one can
    > execute other Tornado related programs in a DOS window/command prompt.
    >
    > target/src/drv/end contains enahnced network device (end) driver (drv)
    > source (src) files that might be used for one's target.
    >
    > target/lib/pentium/common contains library files that might be used on a
    > pentium target.
    >
    > Learning one's way around these and other directories is one of the many
    > things that turns a VxWorks rookie into an experienced user. Another is
    > learning one's way around the documentation. This can be initially very
    > frustrating.
    >
    > HTH!
    >
    > --
    > Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make
    > | two, one and one make one."
    > mrkesti at hotmail dot com | - The Who, Bargain

  4. Re: Would anyone can explain the files under"host/x86-win32/bin"directory particularly?

    "heartofdra@gmail.com" wrote:

    > Thanks very much ? Would you please tell me where I can found
    >the information for this ?

    No, I cannot. I first learned about the directory structure and stuff like
    tovars.bat from a Wind River field engineer and by taking the WR's Tornado
    class. I honestly don't know where in the documentation this might be
    described.

    > As you konw , there are not only the "torVars.bat" under the
    >"host/x86-win32/bin"directory, there are many others, also , there are
    >many ".a" and ".o" files , what are their exactly usage, and that
    >paper mentioned a command "arpentium -ra iOlicomEnd.o libdrv.a
    >ln97xEnd.o", what is the "arpentium " means , is there other command
    >like this ?

    I cannot tell yo anythhing about the ".a" and ".o" files. "arpentium" is
    the Pentium version of the GNU utility "ar" which is an archiver/librarian.
    If you installed support for a Power PC, for example, you would find that
    a new utility named "arppc" would appear. There are a dozen or so GNU
    utilities that are used to compile and link source files and to manage
    and process the object and list files that are generated. These utilities
    are documented in the GNU Toolkit Userís Guide manual.

    > Sorry to be boring, I really puzzle of these.

    I know how it is. There is a lot to learn when first using Tornado and
    VxWorks. Remember, though, that most, if not all, of what you need to know
    is in the documentation! I prefer to use the "online" docs that can
    be accessed through the Tornado help menu because you can search them for
    keywords rather than trying to use the indeces of the several printed
    manuals.

    Your life WILL become much easier after you learn to use the docs!

    | two, one and one make one."

  5. Re: Would anyone can explain the files under "host/x86-win32/bin"directory particularly?

    Would you please give me the link of the " "online" docs " ? Thanks
    a lot .

    On Apr 13, 3:06 pm, "Michael R. Kesti"
    wrote:
    > "heartof...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > > Thanks very much ? Would you please tell me where I can found
    > >the information for this ?

    > No, I cannot. I first learned about the directory structure and stuff like
    > tovars.bat from a Wind River field engineer and by taking the WR's Tornado
    > class. I honestly don't know where in the documentation this might be
    > described.
    >
    > > As you konw , there are not only the "torVars.bat" under the
    > >"host/x86-win32/bin"directory, there are many others, also , there are
    > >many ".a" and ".o" files , what are their exactly usage, and that
    > >paper mentioned a command "arpentium -ra iOlicomEnd.o libdrv.a
    > >ln97xEnd.o", what is the "arpentium " means , is there other command
    > >like this ?

    > I cannot tell yo anythhing about the ".a" and ".o" files. "arpentium" is
    > the Pentium version of the GNU utility "ar" which is an archiver/librarian.
    > If you installed support for a Power PC, for example, you would find that
    > a new utility named "arppc" would appear. There are a dozen or so GNU
    > utilities that are used to compile and link source files and to manage
    > and process the object and list files that are generated. These utilities
    > are documented in the GNU Toolkit User's Guide manual.
    >
    > > Sorry to be boring, I really puzzle of these.

    > I know how it is. There is a lot to learn when first using Tornado and
    > VxWorks. Remember, though, that most, if not all, of what you need to know
    > is in the documentation! I prefer to use the "online" docs that can
    > be accessed through the Tornado help menu because you can search them for
    > keywords rather than trying to use the indeces of the several printed
    > manuals.
    >
    > Your life WILL become much easier after you learn to use the docs!
    >
    > --
    > Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make
    > | two, one and one make one."
    > mrkesti at hotmail dot com | - The Who, Bargain

  6. Re: Would anyone can explain the files under"host/x86-win32/bin"directory particularly?

    "heartofdra@gmail.com" wrote:

    > Would you please give me the link of the " "online" docs " ? Thanks
    >a lot .

    Perhaps I should have used another term, as I suspect I have raised hopes
    of WWW access to VxWorks/Tornado docs. I was, instead, referring to the
    HTML docs installed on hosts and accessible via Toarnado's "Help" menu.