how to mount a file system? - VxWorks

This is a discussion on how to mount a file system? - VxWorks ; Hi, I need a small help to mount a drive in vxworks 6.2. I have working ATA driver. When I use a compact flash which is already partitioned formattetd with DOS FS using windows/linux, how should I mount that file ...

  1. how to mount a file system?

    Hi,

    I need a small help to mount a drive in vxworks 6.2. I have working
    ATA driver. When I use a compact flash which is already partitioned
    formattetd with DOS FS using windows/linux, how should I mount that
    file system in vxworks?

    I can use the APIs like dosFsVolFormat() which will allow to format,
    But I dont want to format it, just mount it.

    Can anybody help me?

    thanks,
    MB.

  2. Re: how to mount a file system?

    On Mar 5, 1:39 pm, "MB" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need a small help to mount a drive in vxworks 6.2. I have working
    > ATA driver. When I use a compact flash which is already partitioned
    > formattetd with DOS FS using windows/linux, how should I mount that
    > file system in vxworks?
    >
    > I can use the APIs like dosFsVolFormat() which will allow to format,
    > But I dont want to format it, just mount it.
    >
    > Can anybody help me?
    >
    > thanks,
    > MB.

    Hi MB,

    a disk volume is mounted automatically when it is accessed, usually
    throught the first open() or creat() function.

    So, try ls "" to see if you can see the device.

    HTH

    Ed

    Ed Liversidge
    Harmonic Software Systems Ltd
    ed AT harmonicss DOT co DOT uk
    http://www.harmonicss.co.uk

  3. Re: how to mount a file system?

    hi Ed,

    Even thou I do initialisation of ATA device in my BSP, after it brings
    up, if I do devs, I dont see my device. If I call ataXbdDevCreate()
    and then if I do partition using xbdCreatePartition(), then I can see
    the device listed. So, with out I create a partition, my device is
    not getting listed, so how should I do open() or create()?

    thanks,
    MB.

    On Mar 5, 7:15 pm, "Ed" wrote:
    > On Mar 5, 1:39 pm, "MB" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I need a small help to mount a drive in vxworks 6.2. I have working
    > > ATA driver. When I use a compact flash which is already partitioned
    > > formattetd with DOS FS using windows/linux, how should I mount that
    > > file system in vxworks?

    > > I can use the APIs like dosFsVolFormat() which will allow to format,
    > > But I dont want to format it, just mount it.

    > > Can anybody help me?

    > > thanks,
    > > MB.

    > Hi MB,
    >
    > a disk volume is mounted automatically when it is accessed, usually
    > throught the first open() or creat() function.
    >
    > So, try ls "" to see if you can see the device.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Ed
    >
    > Ed Liversidge
    > Harmonic Software Systems Ltd
    > ed AT harmonicss DOT co DOT ukhttp://www.harmonicss.co.uk

  4. Re: how to mount a file system?

    On Mar 6, 8:09 am, "MB" wrote:
    > hi Ed,
    >
    > Even thou I do initialisation of ATA device in my BSP, after it brings
    > up, if I do devs, I dont see my device. If I call ataXbdDevCreate()
    > and then if I do partition using xbdCreatePartition(), then I can see
    > the device listed. So, with out I create a partition, my device is
    > not getting listed, so how should I do open() or create()?
    >
    > thanks,
    > MB.
    >
    > On Mar 5, 7:15 pm, "Ed" wrote:
    >

    > > On Mar 5, 1:39 pm, "MB" wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > I need a small help to mount a drive in vxworks 6.2. I have working
    > > > ATA driver. When I use a compact flash which is already partitioned
    > > > formattetd with DOS FS using windows/linux, how should I mount that
    > > > file system in vxworks?

    > > > I can use the APIs like dosFsVolFormat() which will allow to format,
    > > > But I dont want to format it, just mount it.

    > > > Can anybody help me?

    > > > thanks,
    > > > MB.

    > > Hi MB,

    > > a disk volume is mounted automatically when it is accessed, usually
    > > throught the first open() or creat() function.

    > > So, try ls "" to see if you can see the device.

    > > HTH

    > > Ed

    > > Ed Liversidge
    > > Harmonic Software Systems Ltd
    > > ed AT harmonicss DOT co DOT ukhttp://www.harmonicss.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

    If your BSP is configured correctly, usrAtaConfig should be getting
    called, which will then (usually) call ataXbdDevCreate. You should be
    able to see your device with the devs command. So, I suspect that this
    is merely a configuration issue.

    If you rebuild the ataDrv.c file with ATA_DEBUG defined, and maybe
    change ATA_DEBUG_LEVEL to get more debug info, this should give you a
    pretty good idea what is going on.

    ls "" will call the open() function.

    HTH,

    Ed

    Ed Liversidge
    Harmonic Software Systems Ltd
    ed AT harmonicss DOT co DOT uk
    http://www.harmonicss.co.uk

  5. Re: how to mount a file system?

    On Mar 6, 2:26 pm, "Ed" wrote:
    > On Mar 6, 8:09 am, "MB" wrote:
    >

    > > hi Ed,

    > > Even thou I do initialisation of ATA device in my BSP, after it brings
    > > up, if I do devs, I dont see my device. If I call ataXbdDevCreate()
    > > and then if I do partition using xbdCreatePartition(), then I can see
    > > the device listed. So, with out I create a partition, my device is
    > > not getting listed, so how should I do open() or create()?

    > > thanks,
    > > MB.

    > > > Hi MB,

    > > > a disk volume is mounted automatically when it is accessed, usually
    > > > throught the first open() or creat() function.

    > > > So, try ls "" to see if you can see the device.

    > > > HTH

    > > > Ed

    > > > Ed Liversidge
    > > > Harmonic Software Systems Ltd
    > > > ed AT harmonicss DOT co DOT ukhttp://www.harmonicss.co.uk-Hide quoted text -

    > If your BSP is configured correctly, usrAtaConfig should be getting
    > called, which will then (usually) call ataXbdDevCreate. You should be
    > able to see your device with the devs command. So, I suspect that this
    > is merely a configuration issue.
    >
    > If you rebuild the ataDrv.c file with ATA_DEBUG defined, and maybe
    > change ATA_DEBUG_LEVEL to get more debug info, this should give you a
    > pretty good idea what is going on.
    >
    > ls "" will call the open() function.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Ed
    >
    > Ed Liversidge
    > Harmonic Software Systems Ltd
    > ed AT harmonicss DOT co DOT ukhttp://www.harmonicss.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

    Hi ED,

    When I call usrAtaConfig(), it says instantiating rawFs, it is not
    recognising the dos fs which is already formatted by linux/windows.
    Later if i do LS, i am not seeing my device.

    Any idea what may wrong?

    -MB.

  6. Re: how to mount a file system?

    On Mar 8, 5:18 am, "MB" wrote:
    > On Mar 6, 2:26 pm, "Ed" wrote:
    >

    > > On Mar 6, 8:09 am, "MB" wrote:

    > > > hi Ed,

    > > > Even thou I do initialisation of ATA device in my BSP, after it brings
    > > > up, if I do devs, I dont see my device. If I call ataXbdDevCreate()
    > > > and then if I do partition using xbdCreatePartition(), then I can see
    > > > the device listed. So, with out I create a partition, my device is
    > > > not getting listed, so how should I do open() or create()?

    > > > thanks,
    > > > MB.

    > > If your BSP is configured correctly, usrAtaConfig should be getting
    > > called, which will then (usually) call ataXbdDevCreate. You should be
    > > able to see your device with the devs command. So, I suspect that this
    > > is merely a configuration issue.

    > > If you rebuild the ataDrv.c file with ATA_DEBUG defined, and maybe
    > > change ATA_DEBUG_LEVEL to get more debug info, this should give you a
    > > pretty good idea what is going on.

    > > ls "" will call the open() function.

    > > HTH,

    > > Ed

    > > Ed Liversidge
    > > Harmonic Software Systems Ltd
    > > ed AT harmonicss DOT co DOT ukhttp://www.harmonicss.co.uk-Hide quoted text -

    > Hi ED,
    >
    > When I call usrAtaConfig(), it says instantiating rawFs, it is not
    > recognising the dos fs which is already formatted by linux/windows.
    > Later if i do LS, i am not seeing my device.
    >
    > Any idea what may wrong?
    >
    > -MB.- Hide quoted text -

    I would need to see the debug output from the ataDrv.c file to be of
    any further help, except to say that the rawFs is getting instantiated
    because a call to fsmProbe() is returning an error, meaning that
    vxWorks cannot detect the filesystem. Perhaps you can reformat the
    file system in a different way, or get vxWorks to format the file
    system?

    I have had problems with ATA controllers in the past but can't do much
    more without a detailed investigation.

    Contact me directly if you need this.

    HTH

    Ed